PDA

View Full Version : 72gallon Oceanic Reef Lighting

peaceinusa
01/21/2007, 06:37 PM
Hello All!!!

I am new to this website and forum. I was planning on attending the meeing at OCU on 1-20-07, that was cancelled. I will plan on atttending the next one.

I can already say that I like this site layout and resources.

My question:
I have a 72 gallon Oceanic bowfront tank that I have had set up as a fish only salt tank with dead coral and about 8-10 fish (maroon clown, yellow tang, yellow wrasse, 7 line wrasse, green chromis, chineese wrasse and vanentini puffer). I am ready to set this tank up as a reef tank.

I have done quite a bit of research on basic reef lighting and I'm starting to get conflicting recomendations on lighting for a reef tank with soft corals and live rock.

What I am thinking is getting a power compact fixture.

Can you guys give me some suggestions on a proper lighting solution for a 72 gallon Oceanic bowfront tank for live rock and soft corals?

Thank you in advance!

PeaceinUSA

RedEyeElf
01/21/2007, 06:43 PM
don't make the mistake we ALL made in the begining, go bigger. All reefers I know bought a PC fixture and then 3-4 months later had to start saving again for a T5 or mh fixture, me included. Chip in acouple hundred more and do it right the first time, save yourself and your corals the stress

aclos3
01/21/2007, 06:50 PM
RedEye is probably right, if you're getting into reefing, the passion will only grow and you'll find yourself standing in pet stores wishing you could buy some of the higher light species.

If you are going with CF, I like Coralife fixtures. I have a 20" quad bulb 96 watt fixture and loved it before I went to a metal halide setup. They make these fixtures in many configurations and sizes, and they are priced well.

Check out www.hellolights.com and click on "complete hood systems" on the side. You can find several coralife models there.

RedEyeElf
01/21/2007, 07:08 PM
is'nt a 96w bulb 3 feet long? how was your fixture 4 96 and 20"?:)

peaceinusa
01/21/2007, 07:22 PM
So, this light would not work well?

http://www.hellolights.com/484xcoluaqde.html

bigloggerhead
01/21/2007, 07:47 PM
One thing is for sure, you ain't keepin' SPS's with that brutha!

peaceinusa
01/21/2007, 07:53 PM
OK, thanks for the FAST initial input!

I did not expect such fast replies to my forum posting.

GlobaLPimP
01/21/2007, 08:44 PM
I too made the MISTAKE of getting PC lighting to start... Then, after a few months I sold the PC lights and took a big loss on them. I installed four 54w T5's over my 75gl. in my cannopy with individual Ice Cap reflectors and an Ice Cap 660 ballast along with 2 temperature sensitive Ice Cap fans - the lights are being over-driven with that set-up so I'm really getting about 80wtts per bulb. This allows me to keep just about ANYTHING. The light is so intense that I get a slight shimmering effect in my tank. Plus, there is a wide range of bulb colors available so you can fine tune the color to your liking. I love these lights:)

I would go to your LFS and see in person the differences in the types of lights you are interested in....

badpacket
01/22/2007, 01:26 AM
Really, don't bother with PC. For maybe 15-20% more, you can get some killer T5's, and the individual reflectors will maybe close to double the light intensity you get.
I picked up a couple of BallastWise/Dexin DXE2H05U's for like $60 shipped. Enough to run 2 sets of 2 T5's, which allow seperate light staging to more accurately simulate morning/evening light levels.

Even better might be to find the local reef club, or craigslist or the RC FS forum and get someone's old metal halide set-up on the cheap and experience some real light without the wallet-shock.

Just my opinion, but purposely buying PC at this time just doesn't make light/dollars sense unless you get a killer deal. T5 bulbs are just better. Check the T5 mega-thread.

jamal-188
01/22/2007, 07:50 AM
Another vote for T5's with individual reflectors.

GSMguy
01/22/2007, 09:31 AM
t5 t5 t5 not powercompact not t6 t5 is the future
aquatinics all the way
or a couple halide units its going to cost more but powercompacts are not bright enought for healthy corals in the long run

peaceinusa
01/23/2007, 04:26 PM
Awesome....

I really appreciate all the replies. I am definetly going down the T5 road. There are tons of T5 options that I have to muddle through now.

If you could only spend about 400-500 on a light (including bulbs), is there a T5 light that you guys would recommend for a 72 gallon Oceanic bow front tank?

This thread was very helpful as well. This website and forum rocks.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/printthread.php?threadid=788386

Thanks Again!

GSMguy
01/23/2007, 04:29 PM
aquatinics or tek not current as they dont have reflectors

peaceinusa
01/23/2007, 04:38 PM
I think I am going with this light. This looks to me like it has good reflectors.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=586

GSMguy
01/23/2007, 04:47 PM
wawawewa very nice

GSMguy
01/23/2007, 04:49 PM
that light is very cool low low heat more par than a tek light and sits on top of the tank with no legs needed

crázy clowntang
01/23/2007, 06:52 PM
I like the price on that light and it looks sweet. Huummm maybe i will buy it

GSMguy
01/23/2007, 07:33 PM
crazy clowntang that would be a wise decision