PDA

View Full Version : Dosing Pumps

dwculp
01/21/2007, 06:56 PM
I am very tired of using a gravity feed to dose kalk into my tank. It is difficult to get the drip rate right and consistent and it tends to clog the tubing etc.

I want to get a programmable dosing pump as I do not want to mess with float valves etc. I am thinking of the Aquamedic Reefdoser dual as I can use it to dose both my 40 gallon and my 75 gallon at the same time.

What are peoples experience with the Aquamedic?

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/22/2007, 07:31 AM
I've not used it.

Anyone else have opinions on it?

jag1979
01/22/2007, 08:17 AM
I have the aquamedic ato and don't like it at all. I have had to replace the tubing 3 times in 2 months and I am always having to mess w/ it to get it to work

David Grigor
01/22/2007, 11:20 AM
Just about any dosing pump can be used in combination with a timer or controller to regulate the amount so don't get hung up on programable.

While I don't know if it has been resolved but aquamedic dosers in the past only use 2 rollers which dpending on how it stops there is potential of back siphoning if you don't have the tube placed above your sump or tank.

rick s
01/22/2007, 01:48 PM
Just to throw this out there:

I've been very happy with my Nautilus II
www.innovativeaquatics.com

dwculp
01/22/2007, 01:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9045262#post9045262 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rick s

www.innovativeaquatics.com

Thanks! That is right within my price range. I know many people rave about the Liter Meter, but I cannot afford it or justify the expense of Liter Meter.

David Grigor
01/22/2007, 02:02 PM
I have a litermeter on the show tank but I have been liking this little pump for $61 on my ancillary tank. You can special order it with two heads for $25 more.

The pump motor life expenctancy is 8000 hours. Neopreme tubing 800hours. Since I run less than 1 hour total a day, should last about 20years and tubing 2 years.

But please keep in mind, I have not run this pump long term still just 6 weeks so may be too early to tell just how well it will perform but promising so far.

http://www.aptinstruments.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AI&Category_Code=P2

elzool
01/22/2007, 03:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9045385#post9045385 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by David Grigor
I have a litermeter on the show tank but I have been liking this little pump for $61 on my ancillary tank. You can special order it with two heads for $25 more.

http://www.aptinstruments.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AI&Category_Code=P2

Which pump on that page are you using?

David Grigor
01/22/2007, 04:20 PM
the sp100fo OEM version fixed 5.6ml a minute at 30rpm with 3mm neopreme tubing for $63. wiring is simple just add a plug and ground wire to the chasis or can pay more for the enclosure and plug. If you call them the motor is powerful enough they can add a second head to it for $25 or you can buy a seperate pump for another $61 for 2 part dosing.

I use in combination with AC JR. to turn off / on for the desired amount but any timer with 1minute increments would do.

Be warned though when using on a Aquacontroller DC8 becuase it is low wattage it may turn it on but not off. So may need to test on several different ports on the DC8 to make sure it will control it. Neptune mentions this is a known issue at low wattage and could have to do with the tolerances of the devices your putting on the DC8 or becuase of the tolerance of the components per port. So it may not work on one port but will on another ( as in both my case and a buddies where not all ports will work with a low wattage device ). It is a non issue with DC4 or DC4HD because they use relays. They make no mention of this known issue on their website nor any documention. But according to Neptune if you can get it to turn on/off on a port then there isn't any worry of it failing to do so in the future. This condition is not just for these pumps but any low wattage ( such as an aqualifter and rio500 pumps are other known devices ) to have problems with DC8 becuase of the low wattage draws.

elzool
01/22/2007, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the information.

atvdave
01/22/2007, 07:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9038923#post9038923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dwculp

I have the Aquamedic twin dosing pump. I use it for Randy's 2 part system.

My only 2 complaints is that it has only 2 rollers so you must use check valves (there only $1.50 ea) so it doesnt siphon. The other is that when the power goes out you must restart it by pressing 2 buttons to restart it, it still holds your program but you must restart it, however this can be easily fixed a small UPS system.

But what I do like about it is that you can program it down to seconds to get just the right amount of dosing you want.

It's very quit and I very happy with it.

jaeden
01/22/2007, 07:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9038923#post9038923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dwculp
I am very tired of using a gravity feed to dose kalk into my tank. It is difficult to get the drip rate right and consistent and it tends to clog the tubing etc.

I want to get a programmable dosing pump as I do not want to mess with float valves etc. I am thinking of the Aquamedic Reefdoser dual as I can use it to dose both my 40 gallon and my 75 gallon at the same time.

I use Toms aqualifter with a timer comes on 6 times a night for 6 mins each time doses 1.5-2gls , All my evap is replaced with kalk

JGoslee
01/22/2007, 10:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9045262#post9045262 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rick s

www.innovativeaquatics.com I also use the Nautilus II and I am very happy with it.

hounddog01
01/22/2007, 11:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9049975#post9049975 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JGoslee
I also use the Nautilus II and I am very happy with it.

x3

David Grigor
01/23/2007, 11:46 AM
Through the grapevine ( meaning second hand news so take it for what it's worth ) I did hear that the Nautilus II supplier is drying up and it may be more difficult to get these units in the future.

dwculp
01/23/2007, 11:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9053298#post9053298 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by David Grigor
Through the grapevine ( meaning second hand news so take it for what it's worth ) I did hear that the Nautilus II supplier is drying up and it may be more difficult to get these units in the future.

Thanks for the info, I think I am going to go with the Nautilus II. Although I have seriously thought about buying a pump and designing my own controller for it. I probably have all the electronics parts laying around my shop to do so.