PDA

View Full Version : lighting Advice for newbie

smacdone
01/21/2007, 10:14 PM
Okay, So I am new to this and am looking to get a nice lighting set up for my 50 Gal Tank. Its 36" long. I want to be able to grow some coral, and am just curious what lighting to go with. I have seen combo kits with a metal halide like This (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120077145109&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1)

Or i can go with something like This (http://cgi.ebay.com/36-POWER-COMPACT-4-X-96-Aquarium-LIGHT-New-w-lunar_W0QQitemZ250074302828QQihZ015QQcategoryZ3212QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Or any other suggestions of what to get that would be appreciated!

TXStateUnivReef
01/21/2007, 10:47 PM
well i would try www.aquatraders.com they are good lights i have a mh pc combo from there and a 260w pc from there as well no problems and they are cheap i would go w/ pc less heat and take your glass tops off more light in... if your tank is really deep then go with metalhalide

ReefWreak
01/21/2007, 10:51 PM
You should really specify a price range. $300 for PC is crazy though. If you are willing to build a hood, I know you can find a much better deal on even a used 2x250w halide setup! There is a guy in our local club (FMAS) who just sold a setup like that for $150.

Just keep watch of the use equipment forums, or retrofit a setup on your own. It'll save a TON of $$$

blureef1
01/21/2007, 10:52 PM
I have a 36" 50 gal. I went with a PFO mini with just a single 250w de bulb. If I were to do it over I would definetely get a fixture with either t5s, vho's or pc's to supplement the mh. Gives you a little more versatility as far as the look of the light. (If 10k mh is too white/yellow, you can get some blue from the other bulbs etc)

As it is, I have enough light for pretty much any coral, but I need to stick with higher PAR lights, like the 10k's rather than 14k or 20k.

If you want clams or SPS corals I would definetely go with MH. In fact I would recommend MH period as they look awesome.

ReefWreak
01/21/2007, 11:48 PM
You'd be fine with a 12k or 14k 250w over that size tank. You don't need 10k. You may get better growth, but you won't get better colors, and the primary factor with your tank will be your parameters being in check and under control, much more importantly than your lighting, assuming you have at least a decent amount of light (175w+)

netboy
01/22/2007, 03:13 AM
I like bluereef have the same tank. I started out with a tek 4x39 and it was ok but definitely not bright. I switched to a pfo hqi pendant and dont regret it one big. I love it, I am using a geisemann 14.5k and it is a pure white. Everything I keep seems happy. I got my setup on ebay for under $200 shipped with pendant, bulb, and ballast. So you can find a deal out there there are always people selling stuff in the used section forum.

blureef1
01/22/2007, 08:09 AM
Netboy,

What kind of corals are you keeping and what kind of growth are you seeing with your light set up? I like the look of the 14k, but have been concerned that it may not be enough light. I'd love to here others experiences with just a single 250 over this size tank.