PDA

View Full Version : Question # 1

IMAGINEER
01/22/2007, 11:25 AM
Do I use tap water with chlorine to fill my 200 gal tank ? Im starting up a tank and wanted to know if I boil it first or just add it ?

Then add salt to get to desired level.

OH , I forgot hello to everybody !! Im excited to be here and looking forward to this new hobby !!

John:rollface:

sharky_steve
01/22/2007, 11:28 AM
check out the step by step guide in this forum.

papagimp
01/22/2007, 11:29 AM
God NO!!! Use RO/DI water or DI. You never wanna use Tap in a tank. Weather its new or not. Even without livestock, the added nutrients in the Tap would cause sufficient algae blooms long before there due time. Personally, for a first fill, I'd fill it with the correct water and then add salt mix. but when its full, mix salt up first before water changes. Boiling the water isn't going to help, tap is bad for so many reasons.

fwiw, ignore any comments of people telling you tap is fine. It can be from time to time, but its a risky chance you take, and after spending money on a 200 gallon tank, do you really wanna risk it being a dead ugly tank? Look into RO/DI units for effective water treatment. LFS also sell water, I buy up 40g of DI for my water changes every week. may cost me $20/week and I mix in my own salt.

IMAGINEER
01/22/2007, 11:30 AM
Thank you !! I will do !!

zoomfish1
01/22/2007, 11:32 AM
You can also use distilled water the 1st time filling it up. Wal-Mart is like .50 per gallon. I know I cleaned them out on a 150g tank.

papagimp
01/22/2007, 11:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9044140#post9044140 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zoomfish1
You can also use distilled water the 1st time filling it up. Wal-Mart is like .50 per gallon. I know I cleaned them out on a 150g tank.

HAHA, I remeber doing that with a few tanks I was starting all at once. For what it's worth though, I found I can buy my DI water from a LFS for less than .50cents per gallon. It's about $2.00 for a 5 gallon bucket. Check prices and see what's going to be the best option.