PDA

View Full Version : Pumps and Placement

mtp
01/22/2007, 02:42 PM
I have a 110 gallon Oceanic SPS – LPS mixed reef system built into a wall visible from two rooms. It is 60.5 inches long and 18.5 inches wide. There is one overflow box. The return water goes through a SCWD with two t-lock arms on each side. I currently have an oscillator plumbed to a pump submerged under the reef.

I would like to remove the oscillator and replace it with two Tunze streams (6000?) and a 7095 multicontroller. My questions include: Would these be the recommended pumps? From a deployment standpoint what is the recommended set up for the pumps in the tank?

Thanks, Mike

rvitko
01/22/2007, 05:23 PM
That is what I would recommend, I know it may not be aesthetically ideal but I would place a pump in each of the back corners and aim them just past the front center.

mtp
01/22/2007, 06:06 PM
I am not sure I understand. There is really no front or back since it is built into a wall and is visible from two sides. The reef is in the middle of the tank. The overflow box is centered on one end. Obviously currently the four return lines through the SCWD are located in the end the overflow box is located. The oscillator is centered on the overflow box. In reality I only have the two corners on one end that are free.

Can you mount them on the center on each end and achieve the desired result? However, the stream would then be directed down the center line of the reef so the circulation would not be indirect. It is my understanding only the nano has adjustable directional fronts.. Right?

Any other ideas on which pumps or an alignment approach might work and look good?

Thanks, Mike

rvitko
01/23/2007, 10:07 AM
The nanos can be adjusted in all directions, the traditional Streams can swing left to right about 45 degrees each way. That should be fine, but I would have one on each side rather than both on the same side.

mtp
01/23/2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks Roger! So I can center mount the two 6000s??? on opposite ends on the tank and adjust the flow direction up to 45 degrees so they are both pointed at the center point of the glass that runs the length of the tank. In my case either side. Will the pumps remain flush with the end wall and in my case the overflow box on the other end? Is so them the front of the pump must pivot up to 45 degrees to adjust the directional flow, right? I assume no real performance degradation from adjusting the flow direction, right? Would your recommendation for my system would be the 6000s?

Thanks, Mike

rvitko
01/23/2007, 01:58 PM
The whole pump pivots on it's mount, they stand out about 3/4" from the glass. You can center mount them.

mtp
01/23/2007, 02:57 PM
Great .. so the 6000 would work? Please confirm pump selection.

I will be in Austin on Thursday and Friday I will stop by an pick up a couple and 7095 ..ha ha. I wish!!

Thanks, Mike

rvitko
01/23/2007, 04:41 PM
That is what I would use. The 6000 should start coming in again soon.