PDA

View Full Version : Would a Puffer eat my blue spot jaw?

texas1977
01/22/2007, 03:52 PM
I was just thinking about a tankmate. The puffers in the store don't look or act aggressive. Just wanted someones opinion.

46bfinGA
01/22/2007, 06:05 PM
Would be an expensive snack if they did. But you should be ok.What kind of puffer are you interested in?

Dave Legacy
01/22/2007, 09:32 PM
Puffer temperment varies based on species and individual. Some species are notoriously more aggressive than others, yet you'll get a tame individual... and vise-versa. People have the biggest success with Tobies/Sharpnose Puffers in community style tanks. You really wont know how it will turn out until it's too late, unfortunetly.

My GSP (Notoriously Aggressive) did quite well with my Green Wolf Eel. However, when it eventually died of starvation I believed it to be caused by harassment from the much smaller GSP. Even with a tame individual, she was the cause of a few bite wounds.

It's always a gamble w/puffers.

luke33
01/23/2007, 09:45 AM
In a 75g tank, you'll have to go with a toby cuz it would be packed with a porc or dogface. In a larger tank i'd tell you to get a dogface, they are very pleasant and i've never had mine look at another fish aggresively, no matter how small of fish it was in with.