PDA

View Full Version : possible soap contamination

Al
01/22/2007, 04:55 PM
Randy

I'm in the process of setting up a 50 gallon reef after being away from the hobby for a year. Yesterday I tried one of those black plastic backgrounds that require that the sticky side be sprayed with soapy water. I was careful to do this well away from the tank. I tried it out, didn't like the look, and removed it. Then I carefully wiped the glass, and the top and bottom frame. I don't think I got any soap on the inside of the tank, but I rinsed the inside with a few gallons of DI water anyway.
Then today I began to feel a certain degree of concern. There's a possibility that a few droplets floated in the air to the inside of the tank - should I be worried about this?

bertoni
01/22/2007, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't worry about that small amount of soap. If you're really worried, you could wipe the tank with some vinegar.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/23/2007, 04:54 AM
Assuming that you have a skimmer, any soap will foam readily and be skimmed out. Carbon will also help take it out if you are concerned.

OCEAN SIZE
06/08/2008, 11:33 PM
Hate to bring up an old one, but my son / father in law / cleaning lady (or worse, all 3 !) put soap in my RODI topoff jug.

I only noticed as I was pouring some water in.

The skimmer (a Euroreef 3 internal) started shooting foam out.

I'm quite concerned. My setup doesn't have the carbon and phosban filters working on it any more.

Just keep skimming and pray ?

bertoni
06/09/2008, 11:26 PM
Water changes might help, but mostly just wait and cross your fingers. Carbon might be useful, if you can get a setup going.

OCEAN SIZE
06/11/2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks Jon - I defer to your knowledge. The skimmer freaked out immediately - luckily I caught the smell right away and there wasn't too much in there.

I added a lot of water to the sump and set the skimmer to skim wet.

It worked! Whew. Cardiac arrest prevented. Soap was much less detrimental than "cuke nuke" to my tank... I had to run carbon and do changes then and still lost a few fish. This was actually no problem, though I don't recommend it.

bertoni
06/12/2008, 12:01 AM
Sounds like all went well enough! That's good!

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/12/2008, 05:00 AM
The good thing about soap is that it is perfectly designed for skimmers to remove it. :)