PDA

View Full Version : To Overstock, Or Understock... Thats the question...

Bmgrocks
01/22/2007, 06:49 PM
Have a 29, and am looking for more stock. Was thinking about the pro's and con's of my current set up, Future plans and aspirations, and possible stock list

Looked at my availible resources (equipment, finances etc) and narrowed down a fish list

Checked out some reef tanks, 29 gallons and looked at their Seemingly Overstocked Tanks, What seems to be crazy stuff, Snowflakes and Tangs in 29's etc. Multiple Angles etc

I don't necessary agree on these species, but with smaller species, and the amount of healthy tanks that are Overstocked, I felt as if I could do it,

WITHOUT JEPORDIZING THE HEALTH/MENTAL WELL BEING OF THE FISH, and meeting their specific Specie Requiremtns

Decided after seeing some 8 fish in a 29, perhaps i could do it too. This person is known on the web,and own's reefs that inspires us all.. Melvs reef or something

Here was my Plan
Current Inhabitants
2 ocellaris clowns
1 royal gramma

Want to add

Flame Angel
Yellow Watchman Goby
and 1 smaller fish. like a blenny, jawfish, something in that size range

Would It be possible
Keep up on my water changes, say 20% roughly 10gallons Weekly

think I underfeed my tank... fish are oportunistic Anyways
Can't complain about my skimmer.

What do you Think?
Can It be DONE?

kmf507
01/22/2007, 06:59 PM
I think you could do it if you left out the flame angel. Adding that would in my opinion jeopardize the health of the fish. Fish want enough room that they can go behind a rock and be alone. I don't think you will be providing that in a 29 and those fish. They very well may live, but I would expect a bunch of skittish fish and likely prone to ich outbreaks (more fish=more stress). If you do try, good luck.

BiggySmalls
01/22/2007, 07:02 PM
i think he might be able to do it, check colinadams nano cube 24g he has like 5 fish

kmf507
01/22/2007, 07:08 PM
Being able to do it and "jeopardizing the health of the fish" are two different things. In my humble opinion, a flame angel is too delicate (and expensive) to be at optimum health in a 29 with 6 neighbors. I very well agree that he can likely keep it alive, but would expect skittish fish and some territorial issues.

Bmgrocks
01/22/2007, 09:04 PM
i am familiar with fish stress, keeping some africans, over stocking is commonly used, and often necessary.

a way of protecting the fish from themselves. There is a right and a wrong way to do it.

Do you think if i applied the same basic principles that i use in my Fresh Water African set ups, it could work for SW?

water quality
conspecific aggression
water level inhabited etc.

kmf507
01/22/2007, 09:32 PM
I'm sorry, but I do not think there is a right way to overstock SW fish. I completely yield to your judgement on FW tanks though (I've had a few, but never bred any) and I am far from an expert on SW tanks. I very well could be wrong, but I think that would jeopardize the health of the fish, although you likely could keep them alive.

hodgepodge1983
01/22/2007, 09:43 PM
Try observing the fish in both an understocked and overstocked condition. You will be amazed at the difference in behaviors, at least such has been my experience.