PDA

View Full Version : Too much flow for a fish?

24gnanonewbie
01/22/2007, 11:04 PM
Or is there such a thing? I have a 24g Nano Cube, and I recently put in a Tunze Turbelle NanoStream Pump 6025. I have a smaller Percula(clown) and it seams that he really has to kick to move any where... Is there such a thing as too much flow? Or should I just leave him alone, and he will adjust?

Dubbin1
01/22/2007, 11:08 PM
It will be just fine.

MC Lighting
01/23/2007, 05:53 AM
actually I wonder as I have lost 5 clowns in my 180 and nothing else as te 6th was about to kick the bucket I think I actually figured out they were having too much trouble swimming around as he was realy struggling to get around at the end so I put him in the fuge/sump and appears to be doing just fine so I wonder if as juvis they are over excersized?

kfowler
01/23/2007, 07:30 AM
I have a 20g with a 6025 and my clown seems to do fine. They can find less flow spots to hang out in.

newrossman
01/23/2007, 08:21 AM
I agree to a point in regards to flow being to high for clowns, Maybe the tank bred ones never pickup the skill of dealing with high flow.
Trust me I know, had major probs with tank and a 50 times turnover, all the fish and seahorse except clowns settled down to a pattern of knowing were was safe flow wise but the clowns just seemed to swim and swim and then drop to the lowest flow, right above a tunze 6080 (bad idea).
In the end I setup a cube and the are happy.

I wonder if you can train them up

slider162
01/23/2007, 08:53 AM
I have a single modded MJ12 with a medium flow kit in my 75G. My clown hangs out at the very top corner on the opposite end of the tank and will not even think about exploring the rock. I feel so bad for him I unplug the MJ12 at night so he can sleep. Granted, he is the only fish in the tanks aside from the turbo snails, 1 pepermint, and one emerald crab.

costello303
01/23/2007, 11:58 AM
ive got a 12g nano cube, just added two baby, captivity bred clowns, and they are struggling with the flow, any tips?!

b_mattias
01/23/2007, 12:33 PM
My clowns seek out high flow from time to time. Think they enjoy the exercise. Have 2 mj 1200 btw.

Amphiprion
01/23/2007, 12:47 PM
You won't have a problem. Although A. ocellaris is usually regarded as a 'weak swimmer' compared to its cousins, they seem to handle the regular surge just fine. If you have ever seen the footage of a fully grown H. magnifica anemone and a 'family' unit of A. ocellaris together, you would be amazed at the sheer amount of flow they swim against on a regular basis.

WaterKeeper
01/23/2007, 12:57 PM
What seems to be fish struggling in a high flow environment is actually part of their feeding pattern. Many fish will appear to hover in high flow areas making little headway against the flow. What they are doing is letting the flow carry food their way. As it passes by the grab it. The hovering is natural.