PDA

View Full Version : lighting question.

natep206
01/23/2007, 12:34 AM
should a 4 x 24wtt (96wtts total) t5 fixture over a 30gal cube (its about 17" deep) with a 4" sand bed be enough lighting for sps if i place them near the top of the tank? or would i even need to put then near the top?

thanks,
nate :beer:

cmc0814
01/23/2007, 10:07 AM
I would start them out at the bottom and slowly move them up. Just see where they get the best color and stop there.

ReefWreak
01/23/2007, 10:18 AM
It should be okay as long as they're near the top of the tank and the rest of your parameters are in check. Parameters are probably the most important part. I still wouldn't suggest trying any of the super-difficult acros and such. Learn the limits of your tank with a few frags before going nuts.

Good luck!

cmc0814
01/23/2007, 10:49 AM
If your lights are close to the water and I would say within 12-14 inches from the light with your SPS, you should have no problem. Those T5s are more than plenty for SPS (assuming you have individual reflectors). But I do agree with starting slow and finding out what your limits are. Start with a monti cap and a milli. Then move on to other things slowly. And keep all your parameters in check like ReefWreak said.

natep206
01/23/2007, 12:18 PM
thanks. how long should i wait after the cycle to start trying some frags? ive done softies and lps for a good while now but am new to the sps thing.

thanks
nate :beer:

cmc0814
01/23/2007, 01:30 PM
Are you saying this tank is newly cycled? I would make sure that the tank has no spikes in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate first. Keep the phosphates at 0. Keep some fish in there for a little bit to make sure the bacteria can handle the bioload. So I'd say after the tank has been cycled and a fish has been in there two weeks or so you could add a monti cap to see how it does. If you know someone that has one that could frag you a 2 inch frag, that would be best. That way a whole colony doesn't die in the event your tank isn't ready yet. And then just give it time, as well as calcium supplements. If you are new to the supplement thing, I'd try Seachem Reef Plus and Reef Complete. They are pretty good for people that are unfamiliar with how that works. I hope this helps.