PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Live Rock with Bleach?

fishtk75
01/23/2007, 05:35 AM
How do you do it as how much bleach to the size of water and rocks?And what to take the bleach out and how long do do every thing.
Is A skimmer is used?

rayjay
01/23/2007, 07:23 AM
I can't imagine any problem bad enough to make me bleach my live rock.
The only malady I've been unable to cure with any of my tanks is the main one that is totally covered in bubble algae, but I'll live with it before I ever ruin it with bleach.

dkh0331
01/23/2007, 07:31 AM
You will totally kill your LR. It will become dead/base rock if you use bleach on it.

Why do you want to use bleach on it? There are other options, like cooking your rock (a twist off of curing it)

David

fishtk75
01/23/2007, 11:23 AM
Sorry all I needed to post this in other forum in reef discussion please answer there so Randy has room here.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/23/2007, 11:28 AM
What forum? This chemistry forum seems like the right place for someone contemplating bleaching rocks to remove organics.

It will kill algae, and everything else on the rock. If that is the intent, then 10% bleach in fresh water will do the trick.

FWIW, I do not think that getting organics off the rock is going to solve a hair algae problem that is driven by nutrients in the water. The algae will just come back.

the other tang
01/23/2007, 11:29 AM
Address what is causing the hair algae, killing the rock will likely be a temporary solution. Is there something else you are looking to kill off? A few snails and blue leg hermits should munch the algae in short order, mine did. I had a bit of a phosphate problem, and nitrates 30ppm causung it. I fixed that and it stopped growing. The snails finished it off.

FWIW, I used bleach in my FW days to kill algae, I always rinsed with fw with de-chlorinator in it to kill the bleach and never had issues. I have never tried this with sw.

fishtk75
01/23/2007, 11:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9053114#post9053114 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
What forum? This chemistry forum seems like the right place for someone contemplating bleaching rocks to remove organics.

It will kill algae, and everything else on the rock. If that is the intent, then 10% bleach in fresh water will do the trick.

FWIW, I do not think that getting organics off the rock is going to solve a hair algae problem that is driven by nutrient sin the water. The algae will just come back.

Ok Randy then I am at the right place thanks.
That is that I was looking at for hair.

fishtk75
01/23/2007, 11:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9053130#post9053130 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by the other tang
Address what is causing the hair algae, killing the rock will likely be a temporary solution. Is there something else you are looking to kill off? A few snails and blue leg hermits should munch the algae in short order, mine did. I has a bit of a phosphate problem, and nitrates 30ppm causung it. I fixed that and it stopped growing. The snails finished it off.

What type of snails worked for you?
It is only two big live rocks that has algae growing on it the whole time that is there bad rock?

the other tang
01/25/2007, 10:44 AM
zebra turbos do a great job, better than reg turbos.