PDA

View Full Version : Red Fire Clown

Denadai
01/23/2007, 12:14 PM
Hi Guys,

I saw this clown and I liked

Behavior ? Agressive against other fishes or clowns ?

http://www.aquacon.com/images/fireclownsmall.jpg

Slakker
01/23/2007, 12:18 PM
I think this might be A. Frenatus, but I don't have either of my books on hand at the moment. If I recall correctly, A. Frenatus can get aggressive as it matures, but hopefully someone else can help more with a positive ID and some better info!

Denadai
01/23/2007, 12:28 PM
This clown is not a frenatus, he does not have any kind of white stripe

Amphiprion
01/23/2007, 12:35 PM
It is Amphiprion ephippium. They actually do have thin white stripes as juveniles, but they later disappear. Fairly aggressive and moderately large in clownfish terms (~4.5-5 inches).

stykthyn
01/24/2007, 12:01 AM
hands down the single most AGGRESSIVE fish I have ever owned. beautiful none the less though.

SVXH6
01/24/2007, 12:09 AM
thats Amphiprion ephippium.. and yes they get very nasty.

AquaReeferMan
01/24/2007, 01:26 AM
Yeah I used to have one. Mine was wild caught. He was a nasty little guy. As a juvenile he did have a small white stripe by his eye. Any time I placed my hand in the tank he would attack me. One time I went in to get my algae magnet and in an attempt to bite me he launched himself outta the tank and landed on the floor. Dumb fish. Any way if you are thinking about getting this fish make it your last, he was harass any new faces.

adtravels
01/24/2007, 03:02 AM
true brutes and aggressive to their own kind like no others.
Common here in thailand as they are from the andaman sea predominantly.the tomatos I have are positively pleasent in comparison.
very beautiful though.
i recently paired some up and then traded them for a breeding pair of tomatos they took a few months of attack behavior to pair but themn were similar sizes when i bought them which made it harder. from what I can tell its pretty difficult to get large mature females (deep red/brownin colour) over there in the us as they are bad shippers, i.e the big fish get so stressed they die, you can even get "family" groups for sale here in bangkok with the striped juvies along with huge femals and the spotted sub-adults and males. Quite a site to see and would look great in a large species tank.

Denadai
01/24/2007, 06:20 AM
ok..I give up hehehehehe

Jeff
01/24/2007, 07:13 AM
Pretty fish though too bad it is mean :(