PDA

View Full Version : Large Eel Owners

D659600
01/23/2007, 12:38 PM
I have a Hawaiian Dragon in QT and have noticed something really strange. Sometimes he is breathing on one side only or out of one gill only. He eats like a cow and is active. It is happening on his off days of eating when he is less active. My other eels are smaller and I have never noticed them doing any of this. So I am wondering if I should be concerned or if this is just normal for the larger ones cause they are not as active as the smaller ones. Thanks. D

Pete
01/24/2007, 06:28 PM
This is normal in all eels, no need to worry. I've had 3 dragons over the years. Love 'em, good luck

splateee
01/25/2007, 07:55 AM
Our Goldentail will sometime turn upside down in his cave with his head sticking out. This scared me the first time.

redboxer13
01/25/2007, 09:41 AM
Yep, I seen my Yellow headed (fimbriated) flip its self over too and does this breating at times. This "fish killer" has been a model citizen. He is at least 2 feet and keep him a Blue chin trigger and a Large Yellow Tang. Just keep him well fed and he will be o.k.. I love this eel.

Dubbin1
01/25/2007, 12:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9069415#post9069415 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by splateee
Our Goldentail will sometime turn upside down in his cave with his head sticking out. This scared me the first time.

You mean like this :) This guy does it all the time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/dubbin1/PICT2899-1.jpg

ralphie16
01/25/2007, 03:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9053743#post9053743 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by D659600
I have a Hawaiian Dragon in QT and have noticed something really strange. Sometimes he is breathing on one side only or out of one gill only. He eats like a cow and is active. It is happening on his off days of eating when he is less active. My other eels are smaller and I have never noticed them doing any of this. So I am wondering if I should be concerned or if this is just normal for the larger ones cause they are not as active as the smaller ones. Thanks. D

many fish do this too. they can control which gill to use