PDA

View Full Version : New Sps Crazy Colors

blackheart
01/23/2007, 02:34 PM
OK i know that my head line makes you want to see pic i will post them soon but for now i have a couple questions.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1022980

these are the frags i bought the pics dont do them justice.

I really dont want these to lose thier color in my tank i have not had any other frags lose color but i also have not had acros/milli these colors before. My lighting is 2 150 watt 14K pheonix bulbs with 2 96 watt actinics. the MH run 6 hours a day and the actinics run 12. I have a dkh of around 13 Ca is 450ppm and i am not sure of the mg. everything else is on.low phosphate and all. I do have a couple leathers in the tank dont know if that matters. I add tech a and b every morning to keep the Ca up. salinity is 1.025.

ok thats all i have i think can you please offer me an opinion on whether my frags have a chance of holding colors i am not sure what light they were under in the frag tank.

thanks

mmotown
01/23/2007, 03:40 PM
Your corals will hold their color. I bought of few corals from this same person and they look great if not beeter in my tank. Given you may have a small color difference due to your lighting but your corals will still look the same. I have 12k reeflux. Just continue doing your husbandry on your tank. Changing out your carbon and phosband media and keeping your parameters in check.

blackheart
01/23/2007, 03:44 PM
great I really love these corals. Thanks for the input i just wanted to make sure my lighting was ok. i have put them near the top just incase.

you do have much stronger light than I do so hopefully they will be ok

teen
01/23/2007, 03:51 PM
puttin them up high right away may not be a good idea. you may want to start them in medium light so they can adjust to your tank, then move them up from there.

blackheart
01/23/2007, 05:00 PM
they are pretty high and all the polyps are out do you still think i should move them to the bottem?

mmotown
01/23/2007, 05:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9055997#post9055997 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by blackheart
they are pretty high and all the polyps are out do you still think i should move them to the bottem?

Only because mine were frags from an established tank, I put mine where they were going to grow. I mounted mine high and in a good flow area and they have grown. I only put maricultured corals on the bottom and work them up. Frags from other reefers go in their permanent spot.:cool:

Serioussnaps
01/23/2007, 05:29 PM
You should start them lower as a general rule. You are asking for bleaching problems chucking them into high light. Also, I would like to see your Alkalinity be closer to natural sea water, however, many people run high ALK such as the italians in the sticky at the top of the thread....most of them are very experienced reefkeepers though.

Keep leather downstream from acros IMO. dont have to but better safe than sorry

blackheart
01/23/2007, 06:22 PM
i'd like to get my alk lo\/\/er but it turns out the suppliment i am using is causing this rise is there any other type of suplimentation you can recommend?

also these frags have come from an amazing amount of light so i am going to leave them in there spots and if they are stressed I'll move them.

Covey
01/23/2007, 06:41 PM
I would put the frags higher near there final spot. I have the one peice of info you guys don't. I been to Coralfreak's house. His frag tank runs on 250W I believe 10K so your 150W won't burn them. Plus the frag tank is wide and shallow those frag grew in under 8" of water uncdr a 250W there use to the light.

I have 10 of his acro all top notch stuff, all growing, all happy.

blackheart
01/23/2007, 06:59 PM
yes this is the light that he said he had do you guys think this color can stay put under my lights. i have never lost color but also never had anything this bright.

slapshot
01/23/2007, 07:15 PM
You might want to run your MH longer than 6 hours. This would be an interesting topic I guess but most people I have seen run 10 to 12.

jski711
01/23/2007, 07:57 PM
i run my lights for 10 hours a day, i would bump yours up to at least 8 imo.

Covey
01/23/2007, 08:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9056672#post9056672 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by blackheart
i'd like to get my alk lo\/\/er but it turns out the suppliment i am using is causing this rise is there any other type of suplimentation you can recommend?

also these frags have come from an amazing amount of light so i am going to leave them in there spots and if they are stressed I'll move them.

What do you use? Get a two-part Cal/Alk mix and only dose the calcium part until the alk comes down.

blackheart
01/23/2007, 09:46 PM
i use tec A and tec B made by kent marine I d6se every morning

blackheart
01/24/2007, 09:52 AM
well I guess i will know in two weeks about the color. One way or the other I know my tank will support thier lives and they will thrive in the tank, dull or bright. I can always get a new light down the road and brighten them right up in another two weeks.

I still need to figure out how to deal with this Kent marine stuff maybe i will go with kalk what do you guys think.

yeah also maybe i will go to 8 hours of halides a day do you really thing it makes a difference i have heard that the corals get light saturated with in four hours anyway.

Let Me Know and thank for your help so far you guys are great

deansreef
01/24/2007, 10:45 AM
any of those packs left?

blackheart
01/24/2007, 11:09 AM
I would ask him coralfreak that is he is the one selling them. I will tell you this though if he has them they are worth buying

blackheart
01/24/2007, 01:12 PM
What do you guys thin the best lighting cycle time wise would be?
more than 6 hours of halide 12 of actinic?

If i should change should i go slowly 30 minutes at a time.

Do people get better growth with longer photo periods?

slapshot
01/24/2007, 01:19 PM
Mine do best at 11 hours. I don't know why but they just seem to like it and seem to grow faster.

blackheart
01/25/2007, 10:20 AM
Ok so i have upped my light by an hour so far and I just went on to the internet and bought a tunze 6025 nanostream to up my flow a bit. I will aim this nanostream near the sps of my tank and try to point one of my maxi jets at the stream from the tunze to try and make some currents going.

Any Ideas? Do i need more flow do you guy think. I have mag 9 return MJ900 and MJ1200 and now the nanostream 6025.

I know this is a weaker tunze but i want to start this way. I dont want to hurt my micromussia collection or mess with my zoa too bad. But i also want to make sure the sps is getting what it needs. Tell me your thoughts on this.

rutz81
01/25/2007, 01:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9070496#post9070496 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by blackheart
Ok so i have upped my light by an hour so far and I just went on to the internet and bought a tunze 6025 nanostream to up my flow a bit. I will aim this nanostream near the sps of my tank and try to point one of my maxi jets at the stream from the tunze to try and make some currents going.

Any Ideas? Do i need more flow do you guy think. I have mag 9 return MJ900 and MJ1200 and now the nanostream 6025.

I know this is a weaker tunze but i want to start this way. I dont want to hurt my micromussia collection or mess with my zoa too bad. But i also want to make sure the sps is getting what it needs. Tell me your thoughts on this.
I would look into MOD'ing your MJ's. I've never done this, but, I've read it works great when done right.

twon8
01/25/2007, 02:05 PM
you are seriously lacking in flow, the 6025 will help, but you will need much more than that for a 75 gallon.

blackheart
01/25/2007, 02:33 PM
well I am starting there and moving up. so the MJ 900 and 1200 are not worth anything? the mag nine isnt great i know that. what other pumps do you recomend. maybe a 6045 or another 6025 aswell?
should i get rid of the MJs or should i mod them out?

rutz81
01/25/2007, 03:19 PM
I completely agree with Twon. In my 75G I have:

2 x Tunze 6100
1 x Closed Loop-Mak 4 with penductors
2 x Seio 820
1 x Seio 620

Keep in mind, I run my tank, and if you have sand you can't have even close to that flow without sandstorms. And I know you have micros and zoos, but, they won't really be negatively affected unless they are directly in front of a powerhead. If you can afford it, I'd get 2 Tunze 6000's(and a multicontroller if it's in the budget) and you'll be good. The Tunzes aren't cheap, but flow is very important in an SPS tank, so, if you can't get them I would look into mjmods.com.

HTH,

twon8
01/25/2007, 03:32 PM
ive got micros and zoas, they can handle much more flow than you would think

i would mod the mj's or get some 6045's;

blackheart
01/25/2007, 03:50 PM
yeah i will order the 6045s when they come in i dont think i am ready to deal with the 6100s or 6000. I guess i will mod my maxijets but i dont want it to be crazy in there.