PDA

View Full Version : Going From BB To SSB?

petoonia
01/23/2007, 02:53 PM
What is the best way to add about 1 to 2 inches of sand to my 65g bare bottom tank? I would like to leave the livestock in if possible, and just add it around the live rock. I know it will cloud up the water, but will it be safe to leave the fish, and anemone in their? Im going to use a fine sand and rinse it really well first. Any suggestions?

smatter
01/23/2007, 04:37 PM
Put it in plastic bags and lower it to the bottom before you carefully pour it out. This way minimizes clouding.

petoonia
01/23/2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks!!! Do you think the cloudy water will hurt the fish or anemone? I will do an immediate water change and use quick clean filter pads on my powerheads.

cweder
01/23/2007, 08:37 PM
I have topped off my sand several times with pretty good dust storms and no problems with fish or corals. Just minimize the storm as much as you can. Maybe turn down your flow for first hour or two and use a filter to clear up the water and you should be good. I used Arag Alive for what its worth.

lsir
01/23/2007, 09:04 PM
Never did it but it's a thought. How about a 2 1/2 inch piece of pvc pipe used like a funnel? Cut it long enough to get to the bottom and pour the sand in the pipe. When your done, you can place your hand over the top to seal off the air do you can pull out the pipe along with the sandy water column.

petoonia
01/23/2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks everyone!!!!!

bhdmc
01/24/2007, 03:27 PM
No matter how you add sand, it is going to cloud the water. The water will clear up. I place the the sand in a cup, lower it into the tank very slowly till the cup hit the bottom of the tank, I slowly empty it out. I would not try to cover the entire bottom with sand all at once. Also turn off your pumps.

bhdmc
01/24/2007, 03:37 PM
I use a cup to add sand in my tank. I slowly lower the cup into the water, let the water fill up the cup, then lower the cup to the bottom and slowly empty the cup. The biggest problem is getting the sand around the existing rockwork. Hopefully, your sand shifting critters will move the sand around your rockwork. Never had any problems with the corals and fishes in the tank.