PDA

View Full Version : HQI vs. mogul...Reef fanatics vs. Icecap

ARIANNA
01/23/2007, 04:14 PM
Ok, so I was already to purchase 2 reef fanatics 250 wt. retro kits w/mogul bases and reflectors from diyreef but now I see that they no longer offer the reef fanatics ballasts. They have the HQI 250 watt ballasts closeout for $99.95 but I'm nervous that they no longer stock them. Any speculation on why they would drop the reef fanatics line? Are they an inferior product? I think I'm just going to go with the icecap as they are tried and true. Now diyreef has the mogul kit and the HQI kit, the HQI is only $5 more. What do you think? 250wt mogul w/ Hamilton 14000k or the 250wt HQI w/ Pheonix 14000K
Thanks for any insight, Fred :strooper:

joebo1717
01/23/2007, 04:57 PM
I have been in the exact same debate and from my research i beleive the reef fanatic ballast will fire either mogul base or de bulbs. More importantly last i checked diyreef was out of stock on the reflectors for hqi setups. You can get the lumenarc reflectors but they are way more expensive. I found a coralvue dual electronic ballast on ebay for 170 with free shipping. I am going to use that with 2 parabolic reflectors from diyreef and two reefoptix bulbs. Total is 317 with shipping for everything. I am looking into fans at the moment before i place my order.

ARIANNA
01/24/2007, 06:59 AM
Thanks I'll look into that. SO Many options. Fred:strooper:

ARIANNA
01/24/2007, 07:22 AM
The coralvue dual ballast looks good at $170 but can anyone tell me the reputation of this brand?

DLBerlin
01/25/2007, 02:14 PM
Hi ARIANNA
The Reef Fanatic ballasts have been discontinued by Reef Fanatic.
Too bad-they were very nice dependable ballasts.
Hopefully I can find a good replacement for them soon.
Deb

joebo1717
EVEYONE is out of stock on the HQI retro reflectors-the manufacturer hasnt shipped any out since at least early November. No idea why.