PDA

View Full Version : Why is my protein skimmer not skimmering?

Amyandlars
01/23/2007, 06:43 PM
Just doing the plumbing check before actually doing to the tank. We have a Berlin Turbo skimmer sitting in a 30gal sump, and the skimmer is running and you can see the water pumping in the lower chamber but no action in top.

What's the deal? Is it becuase there's nothing to skim right now?

ASIRA
01/23/2007, 06:49 PM
Are you saying that you're running it in perfectly clean salt water? Is it just not producing enough bubbles? If your water is super clean, you won't have any proteins or other hydrophobic compounds to form enough bubbles to make any real skimmate.

Amyandlars
01/23/2007, 06:53 PM
this is just plain tap water H2O. I've added nothing to it, because we are just checking for leaks and functionality of everything.

ReefWreak
01/23/2007, 06:56 PM
It can't skim tap water. There isn't enough surface tension to form skimmable bubbles. No worries.

ASIRA
01/23/2007, 06:56 PM
There's your problem. Marine aquarium skimmers don't work in freshwater. ;)

Good for you for diligently testing all your equipment though! I wish I had been so prudent when I started out. I could have shared myself at least a few electrical shocks and tank spills.

ReefWreak
01/23/2007, 07:15 PM
You should add a 1/10 vinegar to water ratio to that mix to get all of the manufacturing process liquids and such off, as that could lead to not getting optimal skimmate quality for a while while it wears off.

Amyandlars
01/23/2007, 08:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9057446#post9057446 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ASIRA
There's your problem. Marine aquarium skimmers don't work in freshwater. ;)

Good for you for diligently testing all your equipment though! I wish I had been so prudent when I started out. I could have shared myself at least a few electrical shocks and tank spills.

Yeah there's all sorts of things we had to fix, like tightening up the bulkheads and stuff. The skimmer was just one of the latest issues, the next thing to get fixed is inflow hose from the sump to the pump needs to be changed to pvp pipe, since it is slowly collapsing. I'm kinda of jealous of folks that can just set up a tank and go. But just doing leak and equipement test, we tweeked all sorts of stuff for leaks or quietness.

Man and we haven't even had to face the cycle yet :eek1:

ASIRA
01/23/2007, 08:14 PM
No reef aquarist can set up a tank perfectly the first time (except maybe Rod Buehler, aka the MacGyver of reef keeping). Everyone faces obstacles. Don't lose heart. You'll get there and it will be worth it. :)