PDA

View Full Version : Removing an eel from a tank...

Pleco420
01/23/2007, 09:48 PM
If anyone has experience trying to do this please add your expertise to this thread....

I have succomb to reality and need to get my beloved eel out of my tank as it cannot handle the bioload (poopies, heheheh).

So, here is the plan:

He has not been fed in a few days so hopefully he will not be shy when a nice silverside is waved at him. I am trying to accomplish this without removing all of the live rock.

I bought a big fishnet but have heard stories that eels can be tricky when you get them in the net...

I plan to transport the fish in a bucket with the lid.

So if anyone has any tips/timesavers/etc.

I would enjoy reading them before I have to let my bff move on to bigger and better things. SOBBING

Dubbin1
01/23/2007, 09:59 PM
You can try the net, pvc with it capped on one end or try to get it to go into a bucket in the water.

reefshadow
01/23/2007, 10:00 PM
My nebulous eel was very nocturnal and would swim around alot after lights out. I wouldn't have expected a problem when netting him. He also seemed quite blind and would kind of grope clumsily around for the food (I fed him off of shishkabob sticks.). He would wrap himself around the stick in kind of a knot and wrench his head violoently to tear the food apart. I would have thought it easy to catch him then.

So maybe try to feed from a stick at the surface and net at the same time.

GL!!!