PDA

View Full Version : Best router bit for 1/2" acrylic?

salth2owannabe
01/23/2007, 09:55 PM
I have an acrylic tank (1/2" acrylic) that has, what I would say, is very small access ports in the top of the tank, this thing is built like Fort Knox.
What I'm planning on doing is using a plunge router to open the top up a little, yet still leave plenty of top for strength. Anyone have an idea what style router bit (straight, flutes, spiral) might work best for this?
Thanks for the help!

BeanAnimal
01/23/2007, 10:00 PM
Acrylics here at RC may have better recomendations...

But Spiral bits are my choice for such operations.

salth2owannabe
01/23/2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks,
Any preference on up-cut, down-cut? Ever use the 0 flute spirals for plastics?

BeanAnimal
01/23/2007, 10:12 PM
If you are going all the way through, UP or DOWN will work. UP bits work great for blind cuts. DOWN bits are great for keeping the workpiece clear of tailings.

Acrylics
01/24/2007, 07:58 AM
salth2owannabe,
Any of the cutters will work fine, question is are you working off a template? How are you going to control the cut? If no template, might want to use a rabbett first to make the openings bigger a little at a time, then clean up with a pattern bit, this will also give you a larger radius in the corners which will help distribute stress.
FWIW, I wouldn't necessarily recommend plunge cutting through the acrylic.
As a generallity, I use a template, double face taped to the top of the tank and a spiral down-cut pattern bit for such operations. One could also use a template, double face taped to the underside of the top and a spiral up-cut flushcutter with good results.

HTH,
James

salth2owannabe
01/24/2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the help guys,
I think I'm going to make a template out of 1/4 melamine and use a downcut spiral bit with a guide bushing. We'll see how it works.