PDA

View Full Version : High PH-Help!

brandonst878
01/23/2007, 09:40 PM
My PH is very high and I need to find a way to get it down.
I have read to blow into the air valve in the skimmer which I did but did not know how long to do that for.

I have also heard to add soda water. How much. And baking powder. How much? Directly to tank or mix with water?

I would give a parameter but my PH monitor is on order and will not arrive until Friday. I can't seem to get an accurate reading from my test kit because it only goes to 8.6. So all I can say is that it is a very solid 8.6.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

bertoni
01/23/2007, 09:57 PM
This article covers high pH problems:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.php

Never add baking powder to a tank. Baking soda is a reasonable alkalinity supplement, but it won't help in this case.

8.6 isn't high enough to be a disaster, and I'd be careful about trusting the test kit very much. I'm not sure how much soda water to add, but you could start with perhaps a few tablespoons. Personally, I wouldn't do anything just yet.

What are you adding for alkalinity supplementation? Any pH buffers in use? When was the measurement taken?

MrPike
01/23/2007, 11:32 PM
I have read to blow into the air valve in the skimmer which I did but did not know how long to do that for.

Im guessing the theory behind this is that the C02 that you exhale will drop your ph? Thats really horrible advice, funny, but horrible:lol:

kkumanan
01/24/2007, 02:02 AM
There are products available in the market say for example

brand / Manufacturer : AZOO

product : PH MINUS

hope this can help

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/24/2007, 06:03 AM
Im guessing the theory behind this is that the C02 that you exhale will drop your ph? Thats really horrible advice, funny, but horrible

Try it some time. It works, if sometimes only temporarily. You can actually watch the ph drop in a sump if you breathe into a skimmer. :D
There are products available in the market say for example

brand / Manufacturer : AZOO

product : PH MINUS

hope this can help

No, do not use such products in a reef aquarium.

brandonst878
01/24/2007, 09:28 AM
I meant baking soda i.e Arm & Hammer.