PDA

View Full Version : Please help with these bubbles. I dont know what to do....

jimrawr
01/24/2007, 12:08 PM
I really dont know what to do at this point. I have an Aqua C Remora which has been running now exactly two weeks. The micro bubbles have not gone away at all, and my tank looks awful because of them. I dont really want to have to buy the surface skimmer because I dont have an auto topoff, and with evaporation I would need to add water basically on a daily basis. The filter sock I have been told is not a good idea because it will end up collecting things which will turn into ammonia/nitrates etc.

So what the heck do I do? The tank looks really awful with all these bubbles but I dont know what I can do to combat them.. please help me

papagimp
01/24/2007, 12:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9062493#post9062493 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jimrawr
and with evaporation I would need to add water basically on a daily basis. The filter sock I have been told is not a good idea because it will end up collecting things which will turn into ammonia/nitrates etc.

First, adding top off water on a daily basis is actually the best way to do it. Waiting days between top offs will only cause that much more of a salinty swing, which does and will stress out invertabrates (coral). And the filter sock....yeah it'll collect stuff, that's the point of it. You have to clean them out like you would any sponge and/or pre-filter. Adding the filter sock is a pretty good idea if you ask me. Not that hard to rinse it out every few days or even once a week depending upon how filled up it gets.

jimrawr
01/24/2007, 12:26 PM
I dont have a sump to run the filter sock either. I was just going to stick it on the output of the skimmer.. Not sure if that would even work properly

jimrawr
01/24/2007, 12:27 PM
I am thinking of buying this (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CR1127) and connecting it with a few suction cups, and putting it under the output of the Remora. Think that would work?? Can this be drilled because its acrylic..

papagimp
01/24/2007, 12:34 PM
It may work but sounds like a bit too much work for a product that should not be doing that. I hear good things about the remora's. You may wanna scoot over to the equpiment forums and see what info you can find on the remora's or any DIY mods for them in the DIY forums.

I'm assuming you have tried adjusting the air intake on the skimmer right?

jimrawr
01/24/2007, 12:38 PM
No I have not.. how should I adjust it? Is it the little white valve?

jmait769
01/24/2007, 12:41 PM
First, adding top off water on a daily basis is actually the best way to do it. Waiting days between top offs will only cause that much more of a salinty swing, which does and will stress out invertabrates (coral).

Great advice to follow.

If it was me I would spend the extra $10 and get the <a href="http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=AC3323" target="_blank">Pre-skimmer</a> made for the Remora

There is no air intake adjustment on the Remora.

HTH

Jay

jimrawr
01/24/2007, 01:11 PM
So what, you spend $200 on a protein skimmer and then its not complete so you need to spend another $35 for the surface skimmer to stop the bubbles? Right about now I wish I went with a different skimmer :(

jmait769
01/24/2007, 01:18 PM
I have a Remora (it's my back-up now as I upgraded to a sump) and it is a very good skimmer. Are you getting good skimmate from the skimmer? Is the water outlet submerged? If the water falls into the tank it will always produce some bubbles. I'm trying to think of some more things you can do or try. Maybe someone else will chime in with some ideas and if it is new you may want to contact Remora as I've heard they have great customer care.

Jay

jimrawr
01/24/2007, 01:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9063122#post9063122 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmait769
I have a Remora (it's my back-up now as I upgraded to a sump) and it is a very good skimmer. Are you getting good skimmate from the skimmer? Is the water outlet submerged? If the water falls into the tank it will always produce some bubbles. I'm trying to think of some more things you can do or try. Maybe someone else will chime in with some ideas and if it is new you may want to contact Remora as I've heard they have great customer care.

Jay

Thanks for the help.. The skimmate is great I like how its working, but its all for nothing if the tank looks bad from all the bubbles, and right now its pretty awful. The water is level with the output, so its not splashing. When I lift the collection cup I can see all the tiny bubbles going out, so its not from that. Its just the skimmer creating them and being passed into the tank.

I just emailed them Ill post here what they reply with

I

dippin61
01/24/2007, 02:58 PM
you can drill two small holes, the diameter of a pencil on the back of the skimmer box, right above the level of the ph inside (you dont want it too big, you still want most the water to come over the teeth in the overflow box, but just enough to keep water in there if the level drops below the teeth).

what this does is keep the water level inside the box the same all the time, without having to worry about the level in your tank all the time.

jimrawr
01/24/2007, 03:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9063868#post9063868 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dippin61
you can drill two small holes, the diameter of a pencil on the back of the skimmer box, right above the level of the ph inside (you dont want it too big, you still want most the water to come over the teeth in the overflow box, but just enough to keep water in there if the level drops below the teeth).

what this does is keep the water level inside the box the same all the time, without having to worry about the level in your tank all the time.

Thanks that is a really good idea. I would like to solve this without having to spend more money if possible though. If I cant find another solution I will try this

dippin61
01/24/2007, 10:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9063896#post9063896 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jimrawr
Thanks that is a really good idea. I would like to solve this without having to spend more money if possible though. If I cant find another solution I will try this

it works :D

i did it on mine a few years ago to solve the fluctuating water levels i had because i didnt have a sump then.

keeps the pump wet, most the water still comes over the teeth, and no worries about the levels changing, and it also helps with the micro bubbles.

and to help with that, i put a poly pad in the return section down near the hole in the bottom, just to make sure no bubbles made it out.