PDA

View Full Version : i just bought a divers den anemone

TOURKID
01/24/2007, 06:12 PM
My hearts kinda raceing. lol I feel like i just brought a louis vuitoon or somthing.

Let me know what u think. I was going to wait up to a year to find a really nice rose. well i got the divers den e mail and my other half said go for it... and i did.

Its the worst time ever to buy one, im in the middle of cycling a 90 and my 45 is a jungle, but Ill make it work, as long as LA gets it to me safely that is.

pretty hu :D

http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20070124201041/www.liveaquaria.com/images/diversden/approved/012407-362B.jpg

MarinaP
01/24/2007, 06:32 PM
Very pretty :)

Unless you have 20K XM and a shallow tank, you will not see the colors as depicted on LA website. Man, even sand is blue in that pic.

InvaderJim
01/24/2007, 06:32 PM
Man that thing looks awesome.

RokleM
01/24/2007, 06:59 PM
You got it! Hurry up and stuff that with mysis! I have first dibs on the split hehe ;)

davocean
01/24/2007, 07:06 PM
That is really nice!
You lucky dawg!
Be sure to post pics.

TOURKID
01/24/2007, 07:29 PM
I have 2 250 watt 14k mh's and brite blue actinics on my 90, i may switch to 20k's once everythings moved over (3 weeks at least)

The tank it'll go in immediately is 14k. Ill definately post pics of the whole process of unpacking it to the tank..

I just really hope LA gets it to me safely.

rokle... you can have the first split, i know your hunting. hopefully its not a constant splitter tho, id like to see it get some girth :D

GSMguy
01/24/2007, 09:12 PM
for one like that we are all hunting lol nice score

TOURKID
01/24/2007, 09:20 PM
lol gsm i dident even realize u lived in ohio till now :) ihopeihopeihope i can keep it bubbly!!!!!!!

theres gotta be at least one experiment i could try... screening the mh a lil different food.. its so perfect.

oh. by the way, if u havent already looked..... theyre were three.. now theres two ;) yes expensive, but not that much more than what our lfs's would ask :)

dc
01/24/2007, 09:27 PM
Looks really pretty!

Casshern
01/24/2007, 09:59 PM
the base looks greenish. is this a return of the "chinese" roses that flooded the market before?

GSMguy
01/24/2007, 10:21 PM
tourkid i would put it in the establisehed tank and give your new tank a month before moving it i just moved my bta and the dont like it
anyway ways to make it stay blubbley keep it fed never let it go hungry thats the best way i think
hope it works out for you might have to go to colombus and check it out

TOURKID
01/25/2007, 06:35 AM
gsm.. i was thinking a month at least as well. im useing reef water for water changes on the 90 and carbon, skimmer etc, but im sure it'll have new tank syndrome for a few months :(

Im always feeding my nem, i WISH i could keep it bubbley just like that! my gbta had bubbles for the 5 months i had it, b4 i switched to mh and it lost its bubbles right away, but its health improved greatly....

do u have a reef assosiation near u? cora is having some sweet meetings coming up, you should check it out :)

TOURKID
01/25/2007, 06:36 AM
chinese roses? got pics??

Doni
01/25/2007, 08:58 AM
Tourkid, I think the post above is implying that your anemone is of chinese origin collection. Some people do not like the ones with green base but I think they are beautiful.

The photo seems to be diluted with blue light (20k mh or actinics) to accent the colors. It may appear different under plain 10k mh with no actinic supplementation.

I looks to be a beautiful and healthy specimen :thumbsup:

GSMguy
01/25/2007, 10:07 AM
im in the cleveland club C-SEA, but have also thought about joining CORA
i really want to go down this weekend and check out phishy buisness
i just moved to ohio about a year and a half ago
i would love to see a pic of a "chinese RBTA" that would be cool

RedSonja
01/25/2007, 10:40 AM
I have nothing but good luck with shipments from Live Aquaria, and I know they have an excellent reputation for customer service. No complaints from me at all and I'm darn picky. :)

That's a beautiful 'nem, congrats!

TOURKID
01/25/2007, 10:50 AM
ive seen three threads this past few months of LA's nems arriving dead. not to mention we are getting a snow storm *gulp*

gsmguy... !!!!!!!!!!!!!! you HAVE to go to phishys!! its the best store in the universe! lol He got a new shipment in just lately, really great stuff. And you can actually trust the advice they give you. Cora is having a maxi jet mod workshop soon, and feb. is how to work with acrylic. I just joined recently, so Im just meeting everyone too.

I hope the foot is green, that would be super cool. :D I havent gotton shipment notifications yet, Im hoping they ship today to get here tomorrow.....

RedSonja
01/25/2007, 11:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9070764#post9070764 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TOURKID
ive seen three threads this past few months of LA's nems arriving dead. not to mention we are getting a snow storm *gulp*

Ouch, didn't know that. If you're expecting bad weather maybe ask them to wait to ship it a few days? I'd think they'd rather do that than have it die. *keeping fingers crossed for ya*

-Sonja

Slakker
01/25/2007, 11:10 AM
LA has their 14 day "Arrive-Alive" guarantee even on the divers den, so if the shipment doesn't show up alive or doesn't last two weeks, it will of course be a terrible thing for the anemone, but at least you won't be out anything.

That said, I hope it arrives in fantastic condition and that it thrives in your tank(s)!

You guys should check out the new green one they put up, too...it's a beautiful color.

TOURKID
01/25/2007, 11:11 AM
I just called them and upgraded the shipping for another ten bucks. i figure whats ten after what i already spent. looks like about 10:30 am tomorrow ill get it, it'll be shipped out tonight. and its going to a ups store so it'll be warm. Ill be refreshing the tracking page every 5 minutes im sure lol

yeah, the 14 day garentee kinda sealed the deal. im not really into ordering online esp. a nem. but i figure if its going to hgead south, it'll happen within two weeks. but ive def got experience with btas so if it gets here in one piece im confident it'll stay that way

TOURKID
01/25/2007, 11:15 AM
hooly mooly the other two are solds already! that was super fast!!! anyone on here buy it?? we can compare :D

RedSonja
01/25/2007, 11:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9070927#post9070927 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TOURKID
I just called them and upgraded the shipping for another ten bucks. i figure whats ten after what i already spent. looks like about 10:30 am tomorrow ill get it, it'll be shipped out tonight. and its going to a ups store so it'll be warm. Ill be refreshing the tracking page every 5 minutes im sure lol

yeah, the 14 day garentee kinda sealed the deal. im not really into ordering online esp. a nem. but i figure if its going to hgead south, it'll happen within two weeks. but ive def got experience with btas so if it gets here in one piece im confident it'll stay that way

So it will be delivered to the UPS store by 10:30am? Much better to have it in a warm store than cold front porch! I've started asking for any live shipment to be held at the depot (FedEx does this don't know about UPS) so I can pick them up at 8am rather than have them on a truck and bounced around even more.

And I was kinda iffy on livestock ordering online as well but their guarantee plus customer service reputation cinched it for me as well. And my 'nem from them arrived very much alive, and is still doing great.

-Sonja

RedSonja
01/25/2007, 11:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9070961#post9070961 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TOURKID
hooly mooly the other two are solds already! that was super fast!!! anyone on here buy it?? we can compare :D

LOL you probably sent plenty of people over there to see them and I bet buy them. :) Too bad you won't get a commission. ;)

-Sonja

GSMguy
01/25/2007, 11:25 AM
reefer madness has three this morning price is lower but nems look the same says not from china red with green base

RedSonja
01/25/2007, 11:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9071057#post9071057 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
reefer madness has three this morning price is lower but nems look the same says not from china red with green base

Looks like they've since sold out too.

-Sonja

TOURKID
01/25/2007, 11:32 AM
are the pics still up at reefer madness? i wanna see! (they have the same distributors?)

yeah it'll stay warm in the ups store but im staying home to get it anyways *grin* so it wont be there but a few minutes.

RedSonja
01/25/2007, 11:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9071070#post9071070 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RedSonja
Looks like they've since sold out too.

-Sonja

Oh wait you said reefer madness, I was looking at the 3 at fragglereef.

My bad.

-Sonja

TOURKID
01/25/2007, 11:41 AM
are u kidding me? lol going to look :D I dident see any at reefer madness but there site is kinda weird...

my excitement must be blinding me, i cant find what you guys are talking about on either site. that lil red war nem is neat though, looks like a suncoral.

GSMguy
01/25/2007, 11:49 AM
i just went to the page in my history they were at fragglereef and now they are gone sorry

TOURKID
01/25/2007, 11:51 AM
i dont mind, just wanted to see more under diff lights etc. Glad i saved the LA one just so i could look at it agian.

phender
01/25/2007, 11:53 AM
One of the wholesalers got a ton (4 large tanks full) of similar roses in last week. They are on special this week, but still not cheap.

Usually if one wholesaler gets a lot of something, that means that all the wholesalers probably have some.

Congrats on your purchase. It looks nice.

GSMguy
01/25/2007, 11:54 AM
it didnt look as good as yours looks but it had a bright green base really cool price was real low i should have gotten it for comparison maybee someone here got it?

GSMguy
01/25/2007, 11:55 AM
im going to call my LFS and tell them to be on the lookout for one

GSMguy
01/25/2007, 11:56 AM
phender tell me when giganteas start showing up by the ton if you can

RedSonja
01/25/2007, 11:57 AM
I still had the fragglereef tab open, saved the thumbnail but not the larger pic. Image copyright fragglereef etc. etc. :)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a338/redsonja2k/misc/btafragglereef001.jpg

-Sonja

GSMguy
01/25/2007, 11:58 AM
thanks sonja yea i should have saved the pic it shows a really nice green base

Slakker
01/25/2007, 12:53 PM
Seriously...check out the GBTA that LA has up...that thing is gorgeous! If I had a tank, I would probably have ordered it already.

TOURKID
01/25/2007, 12:54 PM
thanks sonja :) doesent seem like that one has differnt colored tips. hard to tell though. price is all relative anyways. Ive seen roses here (rose base, dark center, light tips) for about 125.00
Im not concerned at all. Heck i really tried talking myself into the way to big red carpet lol

so.... wonder what the maroons will do. they got pretty flustered when i had the 3 way split trying to care for all of them. hope the red doesent clash to much with the maroon ;) lol

TOURKID
01/25/2007, 12:57 PM
*looking* i think i saw it lastnight. divers den?
its got a nice rich color, but i can almost garentee that babys tenicles will be a mile long in no time lol

My gbta looked almost exacly like the red one im getting when i got it, real prominate stripes on the tenicles, very bubbley with pink tips. they'll look great together.

Slakker
01/25/2007, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I just haven't seen (m)any GBTAs with a nice uniform color like that, it's like the whole thing is the same shade of green.

Klownfish
01/25/2007, 02:28 PM
Nice looking nem, good luck with your shippment. Maybe the snow and bed weather will hold off!

Chupacabras
01/25/2007, 02:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9071787#post9071787 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slakker
Seriously...check out the GBTA that LA has up...that thing is gorgeous! If I had a tank, I would probably have ordered it already. Thanks for the heads up, I've been looking for a GBTA that looks like that for quite a while.

TOURKID
01/25/2007, 03:11 PM
nice! keep us updated after u get it! I JUST got my tracking number from LA! Im so darn excited even my dogs think ive lost it lol

Chupacabras
01/25/2007, 03:19 PM
You bet. Now I've just got to coax my RBTA's to move next to each other again so I can add the GBTA to the mix and have a big pile of colorful 'nems.

Mine should show up on Tuesday... I'm pretty stoked about it, too as nice greens are really tough to find. I just wish my roses looked as good as your new one seems to.

RedSonja
01/25/2007, 03:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9072687#post9072687 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chupacabras
Thanks for the heads up, I've been looking for a GBTA that looks like that for quite a while.

I saw that one last night, it's got really nice color.

-Sonja

TOURKID
01/25/2007, 04:19 PM
ive been looking for a rose for about 6 months. always kept finding the same varity. pretty sure this is what i was looking for

now if i can just stop pressing the refresh button on fed ex. must... fold... laundry..... lol

Quickcord
01/25/2007, 05:30 PM
Pacific East Aquaculture (Dr. Mac) had some a week ago. They are gone too, but he has some nice green carpets.

Quickcord

TOURKID
01/26/2007, 10:17 AM
This nem is in CRITICAL condition. Just got it. wasent in a box but 17 hours total. 2 heat packs.

Temp when opened bag--- 56.0 F

still attached to a tiny piece of ruble, but the rest of the rock is on the otherside of the bag. (tossed so much the rock broke?)

VERY shrunk, open mouth, but just a little bit, no guts

After 5 minutes of soaking bag in water, temp jumped ten degres. (to fast?)

I upgraded my shipping the extra ten dollars.. If whoever ordered that green nem.. call them and get the BEST BEST shipping you can!!!!! Its expensive. but this is very cold.

No damage to the nem that i can see, although its super tiny right now.

Ill have pics later today. kinda busy (huhu)

GSMguy
01/26/2007, 10:20 AM
take care of it sounds like it might be ok like you said if its in one peice it should come back
good luck

RedSonja
01/26/2007, 10:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9079068#post9079068 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TOURKID
This nem is in CRITICAL condition. Just got it. wasent in a box but 17 hours total. 2 heat packs.

Oh man, that doesn't sound good. :( Have you notified LA yet? I would if you haven't. Keep us updated! *fingers still crossed*

-Sonja

TOURKID
01/26/2007, 10:38 AM
only been aclimating 30 minutes. going to take it real real slow. but i have lots of pics of the temp with the sencor in the bag and the nem.

I cant get a clear pic for NOTHING!! and now that i have it under my 250 watt (bag in tank, just started transfering water, 1 ounce every few minutes)

THIS THING LOOKS LIKE A RAINBOW!!! foot is PINK (!!) disk, neon green, hot red tenicles, diff tips.

Mouth closed a lil more, and 1 tenicle inflated :D

I have a bunch of pics, They all suck. Ill upload the best bad pic in a minute.

Slakker
01/26/2007, 10:46 AM
My good friend brought her 12g tank and her clowns back to school, and somehow during the 3 hour drive in her heated car the water temp dropped below 50. Both clowns are fine.

I guess the freezing temperatures are one of the risks you get when you order something from northern wisconsin in January...I hope it turns out to be okay!!

Chupacabras
01/26/2007, 10:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9079068#post9079068 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TOURKID
I upgraded my shipping the extra ten dollars.. If whoever ordered that green nem.. call them and get the BEST BEST shipping you can!!!!! Its expensive. but this is very cold.Another thanks for the heads up on this thread. I don't ship 'til Monday so still had time to upgrade it.

Hope everything works out for you!

TOURKID
01/26/2007, 10:49 AM
ok mouth is improving by the second. and the pics arent as bad as i thought lol

ill post some more after it inflates.

all tips have a bit of water in them now. :D yay. I think my 45 minutes of panic has stopped ;)

Oh here was what I wrote down

salinity - 1.025 in bag

temp at 11am (pick up) 56.2 F

11:05- 66.5

11:16- 71.9

11:24- 73.3

11: 50 - 81.2 (same as my tank)

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TOURKID/DSCF2192.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TOURKID/DSCF2199.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TOURKID/DSCF2206.jpg

any advice? think it'll be ok if the foot looks good.. its still inflating, foot just got plump

TOURKID
01/26/2007, 10:53 AM
good glad they could upgrade for you!!!

yeah. packing slip says wisconsin, i thought it might have come strait from the distrobution center. guess not.

Chupacabras
01/26/2007, 10:55 AM
I think you're probably at the point of getting it into your rockwork so it can go hide for a couple days... anything else you do would probably cause more harm than good.

TOURKID
01/26/2007, 10:58 AM
chup... no not yet! i have to get the water fully exchanged in the bag slowly with my water so i dont shock it anymore. salinity was the same, but i dident test anything else. Im sure our alk and cal varied.

GSMguy
01/26/2007, 11:02 AM
yea he looks fine ive seen BTAs on this site that look like death and they come back get him acclimated i would wait an hour or more cant wait to see what he looks like
Btas love 250w halides

Chupacabras
01/26/2007, 11:11 AM
Well, after fully acclimated of course. Work blocks your pics so I have no idea what stage your acclimation is at.

RedSonja
01/26/2007, 11:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9079247#post9079247 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TOURKID

THIS THING LOOKS LIKE A RAINBOW!!! foot is PINK (!!) disk, neon green, hot red tenicles, diff tips.

I have a bunch of pics, They all suck. Ill upload the best bad pic in a minute.

It doesn't look too terribly bad from what it went through in temperatures. Yeah take it very slow and acclimate as long as you can.

My RBTA's of that color morph have the bright purplish-red foot as well. My "true" rose ones have the whitish-tan foot.

-Sonja

GSMguy
01/26/2007, 11:14 AM
at least its not bleached i just wonder if that nem really looked like the picture from live aquaria

TOURKID
01/26/2007, 11:15 AM
boy, its doubled in since that last pic was taken. Im going to acclimate about a half hour more, i hope it doesent move immediately. hopefully it'll chill and inflate first :)

GSMguy
01/26/2007, 11:35 AM
awsome i wedged mine in beetween two rock gently to help it get attached

TOURKID
01/26/2007, 11:47 AM
Ok. its in the tank. Boy, Ive had this peppermint shrimp a long time, and just lately its been picking at the mouths of my corals and digging big holes in them.

as SOON as i got the nem in there the shrimp was picking. I freaked out and almost flushed the monster (been really giving me a hard time) then i remembered.. I have a sump now!!! whoohoo I just band my first critter to the sump lol

oh good news (for me anyway) my maroons have NOT noticed it. its on the complete opisite side. I moved all my corals to the other side to so they cant be stung (hopefully)

1/2 my rock is in my new tank so i was really lacking in spots

As for colors, its not to far off! It still has about double its size to inflate if it was really 4 inches like LA said. Its about two inches right now. Ill upload a pic... *uploading*

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TOURKID/DSCF2211.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TOURKID/DSCF2207.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TOURKID/DSCF2213.jpg

pretty :D

alright, ive slacked on every area of my life today, time for a shower lol

edit- that middle pick is with a flash, the other two are just under the 250watt 14K hamilton

GSMguy
01/26/2007, 12:01 PM
wow that looks great

Slakker
01/26/2007, 12:20 PM
Looks fantastic...looks like it's making it through the cold just fine!

RedSonja
01/26/2007, 12:21 PM
It looks much better now, whew! :) Glad to know it's perking up. It really is a nice color, with the green/yellow tips. :)

-Sonja

TOURKID
01/26/2007, 12:26 PM
yeah, i think it'll be just fine too! it has shifted a bit, so its either going to hide or just getting off that pebble and on to more solid ground.

It almost more orangish than red. really odd and pretty for sure.

thanks for tagging along with me on the thread, im definately pleased with how it all ended up :)

Slakker
01/26/2007, 12:27 PM
Be sure to put up some pics when it's a little more comfortable in your little box of reef!

TOURKID
01/26/2007, 12:28 PM
oh im a picture taking fool. u can count on it! still amazed my maroons arent bothering it. she came over and bit me when i was placing it like usual, but dident see it. she found the one shes frolicing in now before it was out of the bag. lol guess shes just to obsessed with the one shes got

Chupacabras
01/26/2007, 12:31 PM
Congrats!

tp5056
01/26/2007, 01:27 PM
Nice! Keep us posted on when it settles in more!

TOURKID
01/26/2007, 01:54 PM
oh its on the move. its completely off the rock it came on, moving slow but still movin.. lol

RedSonja
01/26/2007, 01:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9081005#post9081005 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TOURKID
oh its on the move. its completely off the rock it came on, moving slow but still movin.. lol

You do have any pump/powerhead intakes covered as well as overflows, right? I know you probably do, just a moment of panic there on your behalf. :)

-Sonja

TOURKID
01/26/2007, 02:38 PM
lol i have 2 of them covered and two tunzes that arent. theyre on the front two corners of the tank. unless it floats it isent getting to them easily. its been in the same spot forever now. half on one side of a rock, half on the other. i keep waiting for it yo pop thru, but man is it a slow one. my gbta practically jogs lol

GSMguy
01/26/2007, 02:41 PM
lol my rose doesnt like to move either

GSMguy
01/26/2007, 05:08 PM
there are three more on divers den as of ten minutes ago

TOURKID
01/26/2007, 05:10 PM
I got the e mail to. its worth it guys. i was just about to post the the nem has firmly rooted its foot. its faceing front and center and looks beautiful, fully inflated and completely healthy. best purchase ive made... besides my gbta of course ;)

Slakker
01/26/2007, 05:14 PM
um...piccies? ;)

TOURKID
01/26/2007, 09:17 PM
well its nighttime in the tank, i went to feed my candycanes some mysis and i gave one to the nem. it gobbled it up REALLY fast. heres a pic of it, lights been off 2 hours :)

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TOURKID/DSCF2214.jpg

GSMguy
01/26/2007, 09:20 PM
sweet

steph30
01/26/2007, 09:46 PM
Very nice! Now I want one :D

Stephanie

RedSonja
01/26/2007, 10:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9084698#post9084698 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TOURKID
well its nighttime in the tank, i went to feed my candycanes some mysis and i gave one to the nem. it gobbled it up REALLY fast. heres a pic of it, lights been off 2 hours :)

[/IMG]

That is great news that it gobbled down the mysis. I really think it's going to be more than just fine, I think it's going to be awesome! :) I've blown my budget on new 'nems and then some otherwise I'd be ordering me another LA BTA right now. :)

-Sonja

Slakker
01/26/2007, 10:13 PM
Looks amazing...can't wait to see that baby get HUGE!

DivaMan
01/26/2007, 10:29 PM
WOW, personally, I like the look of the bta with long tips, but that is simply amazing. If I can get my parents to consent to another anemone of that price after the trouble with this one.... If youd like to know my current nem is not bleached, it however for some odd reason started desintegrating. My water params are fine, etc. IT has stopped shrinking, and has regrown a bit.

GSMguy
01/26/2007, 10:35 PM
diva man Bta all have the ability to have long tentacles some just choose to have the condom tentacles i like the condoms

DivaMan
01/27/2007, 01:43 AM
HAhahahah, I know. I have a feeling that they bubble when stressed, mine only bubbles when its eating, or if my hand brushes it.

TOURKID
01/27/2007, 07:06 AM
no i dont think they bubble when stressed, im sticking to my guns, i think its lighting. and i think that mine will unfortunately lose its bubbles eventually. My gbta had bubbles until I got the mh. and lost em pretty quick after that. (i had the gbta under pcs for 6 months) but Ill also say the colors and health improved under the mh...)

sonja.. Did u see the heart shaped 5 inch one? wow its nice!!

GSMguy
01/27/2007, 09:17 AM
mine had bubbles under 175watt mh then when i went to 250de mh it lost the bubbles now its under 130wpc and it is still bubbly

Chupacabras
01/27/2007, 09:43 AM
I'd buy that; my 'nems are under 250W 14k DE's and they never bubble... sometimes the inner disk tentacles will inflate a little but then they go right back to stringy.

RedSonja
01/27/2007, 11:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9086964#post9086964 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TOURKID
no i dont think they bubble when stressed, im sticking to my guns, i think its lighting. and i think that mine will unfortunately lose its bubbles eventually. My gbta had bubbles until I got the mh. and lost em pretty quick after that. (i had the gbta under pcs for 6 months) but Ill also say the colors and health improved under the mh...)

sonja.. Did u see the heart shaped 5 inch one? wow its nice!!

Yeah, I saw it. I also saw my empty bank account when I checked to see if I could afford it ;) I've spent way too much on BTA's this month, I am BTA poor!

In my experience well-fed BTA's bubble less, some people say the bubbles are a feeding strategy - larger surface area to increase the chance of catching food. Mine usually only bubble after being cut, and within a few days of starting to eat again the bubbles go away, so it makes sense.

-Sonja

TOURKID
01/27/2007, 11:53 AM
I would think the stringier they are the more they are searching for food.. although mine is stringy and eats all the time.

the bubbles id think are spreading the tenicles out more to absorb more light appossed to stringy isent looking for light as much.

but we dont need to start this agian, we all know that none of us has come up with a solid answer lol

GSMguy
01/27/2007, 11:57 AM
lol so true

Slakker
01/27/2007, 05:47 PM
I've got a solid answer, and one that could close the books for GOOD:

'Cause they feel like it.

Mystery solved :)

TOURKID
01/27/2007, 06:43 PM
Na. theres gotta be a SOLID reason ;) all Im saying is mine had bubbles till the lights got strong. But it was also pale and moved alot lol

Slakker
01/27/2007, 10:40 PM
It's possible that it's increasing the surface area of its tentacles to provide more real estate for the zooxanthellae to multiply and photosynthesize, no?

MarinaP
01/28/2007, 08:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9093261#post9093261 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slakker
It's possible that it's increasing the surface area of its tentacles to provide more real estate for the zooxanthellae to multiply and photosynthesize, no?

My theory, too :)

TOURKID
01/28/2007, 10:12 AM
So i tried to give it mysis this morning. It toyed with it for a few minutes then let it blow away.

I waited another hour, tried a silverslide piece soaked in selcon, and it ate it so fast I turned around to get my camera and it had it already inside its mouth. closed its mouth 45 seconds later at the most lol

Guess Ill stick with my silverslides :)

oh heres a few pics from this morning. hasent moved or changed to much. mouth sometimes bubbles up for no reason, but its tight now.

i can see behind the rock and her foot is firmly planted :)

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TOURKID/DSCF2225.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TOURKID/DSCF2226.jpg

GSMguy
01/28/2007, 10:56 AM
i think it looks great congrats on the good buy

petoonia
01/28/2007, 05:47 PM
TOURKID The anemone looks great. Cant wait to see more pics!!!!

I was wondering if you could help me out? Those polyps in the bottom left corner of the last pic you posted, what are they? I got a frag over the weekend that has two on it. I was just wondering what exactly they're called? Thanks in advance!!!!

TOURKID
01/28/2007, 06:36 PM
theyre just polyps lol try a search for 'moon polyps' thats them, or as close as i got to identifing them. they were my first coral. unfortunately theyre totally going down hill, pretty sure its because of my lighting. im going to stick em in the shade as soon as i have some (switching tanks in a few weeks)

petoonia
01/28/2007, 06:42 PM
Thanks!!!!!!!

TOURKID
01/29/2007, 10:56 AM
hm. my bubble tips arent as bubbly!! the tenicles are longer with just a tiny bubble on the ends. going away faster than i thought.

how long did it take your nem to lose bubbles going from ocean/store strait to a metal halide lit tank?

GSMguy
01/29/2007, 11:14 AM
took mine 1 week under 250w and it was no bubbles

TOURKID
01/29/2007, 12:12 PM
alright so its right on schedule :D

you all wanted pics when it was 'settled in' I think this was finally acheived!! its not protecting its mouth anymore and spread wide open. (i cannot beileve my nem crazy maroons havent picked up on it yet!!!!)

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TOURKID/DSCF2236.jpg

Slakker
01/29/2007, 12:18 PM
Oh wow...looks amazing!!! It's huge!

TOURKID
01/29/2007, 12:22 PM
it is! its def bigger than the 4 inches LA said it would be. Its really happy too. Its been pooping without deflateing. kinda funny. colors are def more orange than red. but i wanted 'unique' and i def acheived that lol

GSMguy
01/29/2007, 12:28 PM
dude my maroons never leave their rbta and i coulp put another one in the tank they might not notice

Chupacabras
01/31/2007, 10:50 AM
Mine's in and looks just as good as advertised. I'll add some pics once it's acclimated itself to my lighting and comes out of the rocks.

Unfortunately, the Maxima had some nasty adductor damage and didn't survive the trip but LA is certainly true to their word with their arrive alive guarantee.

GSMguy
01/31/2007, 10:51 AM
well do you have to pay shipping on the new item chupacabras?

Chupacabras
01/31/2007, 10:52 AM
Yeah, they only charged back the purchase price, not the shipping.

I'm not going to split too many hairs about it since shipping the one item was the same cost as shipping both.

edwing206
01/31/2007, 11:12 AM
looks very nice. glad it worked out for you.

Slakker
01/31/2007, 11:13 AM
You got that green BTA, right Chupa?

RedSonja
01/31/2007, 11:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9123549#post9123549 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chupacabras
Mine's in and looks just as good as advertised. I'll add some pics once it's acclimated itself to my lighting and comes out of the rocks.

Unfortunately, the Maxima had some nasty adductor damage and didn't survive the trip but LA is certainly true to their word with their arrive alive guarantee.

Ouch, sorry about the clam. :( Glad they're replacing it but still hate to have lost an animal.

Looking forward to pix of the GBTA!

-Sonja

TOURKID
01/31/2007, 11:21 AM
yeah me to. lets see it!! :) I looked thru the forum a couple times yesterday to see if it arrived well!!

Chupacabras
01/31/2007, 11:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9123764#post9123764 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slakker
You got that green BTA, right Chupa? Yeah, I got one of the GBTA's.

It really was a shame about the clam as it had a great mantle on it. I'll wait 'til spring to try shipping another clam.

I'll try and post a pic tomorrow, my nigripes are staying in my RBTA's so the new one is getting plenty of quiet time to get used to things.

Jeff
01/31/2007, 12:17 PM
Very nice, feed it well :)

TOURKID
01/31/2007, 06:09 PM
UH OH.

The relationship between clown and nem has got to be the COOLEST thing we could ever witness. We are lucky folks.

So.. My maroons never EVER leave the gbta. I walk in the room after dinner, and the female is Really far away from the nem. So I sat and watched for 45 minutes or so, and then, she saw the foot. It took her forever to be willing to leave HER nem to even investigate.

Well. she found it, seconds after she did she nudged her boyfriend until he followed.

Female on the other hand, Is being a tad bit rougher than Id like. At first mouthed tenicles a few times, then tested it with her chin. Then she just laid in it.

But now shes wiggling like crazy. very reminicent of when the first few days the gbta came in.

Oh jeez. she is SERIOUSLY in the middle of the tank, looking right then left at both nems. i think she is SERIOUSLY confused. this is definately the coolest thing to watch ever. they are taking turns in the new nem.

oh. the rose had judt got done pooping, so its only half inflated *yikes* it should be a TINY bit bigger than the fish once it inflates... oh boy...

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TOURKID/DSCF2251.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TOURKID/DSCF2253.jpg

theyre more suited home
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TOURKID/DSCF2255.jpg

GSMguy
01/31/2007, 09:34 PM
might have to seperate them that is much smaller than her hope she doesnt beat it up

TOURKID
02/01/2007, 06:21 AM
well they slept in the green one, even though it deflated after lights off. but i have a feeling they'll be playing in it today. i already have a container thought of so ill hafta cover it if it gets bad.... kinda sux!

TOURKID
02/01/2007, 12:18 PM
well... the male wont stay out of it. (thats alright hes a tiny thing, the nem is 3 times as big at least)

the female comes and visits, does a couple wiggles then darts back to the green one.

It was pretty cool. when i feed the gbta silverslides, the clowns exit, leaveing it to eat. (also the only time im 'aloud' to have tongs in the tank)

so i go and feed the gbta today and the ran to the rbta waited like 5 minutes then went back home.

I kinda feel like i made it even a harder task to ever get them to breed considering they arent even in the same nem anymore, but they both seem happy :)

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TOURKID/DSCF2258.jpg

GSMguy
02/01/2007, 12:53 PM
dont worry about them not being in the same nem for breeding also looks like your female is still too small to breed lil bigger than mine

TOURKID
02/01/2007, 01:03 PM
*grin* that last one is the male, hes about a yr and 1/2 (just a guestimate.. his stripes turned yellow 6 months ago)

the female.. i donno, shes pretty darn big now days, trippled in size since i had her. had her about 11 months, she had her yellow stripes when i got her. so maybe 2 years at the youngest. about 3 inches at least.

they show spawn behavior every so often, cleaning a spot etc. that would be my ultimate in reefing

GSMguy
02/01/2007, 02:17 PM
mine show the behaivior ive had them together a like 5months now but i think maroons females need to be about 4 inches usually not that there are not exeptions

TOURKID
02/05/2007, 02:12 PM
update

Well it seems like it'll keep its bubbles each day until a clown hangs out in it, then they get pointy and long. each morning its bubbled up till then though. I noticed somthing odd today. Dont THINK it came like this, but Im not sure. Could be that all my nems are just plain crazy lol

check these tenicles out.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TOURKID/Graphic1.jpg

got to lazy to circle this one, but i have 2 split tencles on the nem so far.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TOURKID/DSCF2287.jpg

and heres my lil guy looking all cute lol
he really favors this nem during the day.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TOURKID/DSCF2281.jpg

GSMguy
02/05/2007, 02:14 PM
two of my RBTA tentacles are split like that

MarinaP
02/05/2007, 02:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9165306#post9165306 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TOURKID

check these tenicles out.

Normal. I've seen this in magnificas, too.

COreefer
02/05/2007, 02:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9165385#post9165385 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MarinaP
Normal. I've seen this in magnificas, too.

And in my H. Crispa this has occured.

RedSonja
02/05/2007, 02:32 PM
Two of my four BTA color morphs have split tentacles as well, and I think my Divers Den GBTA is about to start it, at least one tentacle has two pink spots on it now.

-Sonja

pbukow
02/05/2007, 09:55 PM
Tourkid, what type of nem is the one you had in this tank first, the long tentacle nem. I love how it looks and want to add an anemone to my tank someday. btw the new nem looks gorgeous

TOURKID
02/06/2007, 06:24 AM
0pbukow, thats a bubble tip nem too. heres what it looked like the day i bought it around 8 months ago. it kept its bubbles until i installed the metal halide (pcs b4 that) it got way healthier after the mh too.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TOURKID/DSCF0771.jpg

GSMguy
02/06/2007, 08:44 AM
yea i have one slowly dying under pc right now need to get my new t5 fixture on the tank

pbukow
02/06/2007, 11:07 AM
Wow gorgeous Thanx