PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasser Mix to Nuke Aiptasia?

b.branscombe
01/24/2007, 07:04 PM
Hi everyone. I just noticed a small aiptasia on one of my rocks. I want to get rid of it before it gets bad. I read the FAQ, and I have some kent marine kalkwasser mix. How do I go about applying it? I assume that I mix it with water to produce a solution, what should the consistency be? Toothpastish, or more fluid? Also, when applying, is it okay to put it near the anemone, or should I try to find a hypodermic needle and actually inject it into the anemone tissue? I'm going away for a couple of weeks and the last thing I need is to come back home to an Aiptasia infection.

Dubbin1
01/24/2007, 07:27 PM
Try to make it almost like toothpaste and just cover the aip with it.

bertoni
01/24/2007, 07:34 PM
Covering it will often work. Injection seems more reliable, if possible.

b.branscombe
01/24/2007, 08:15 PM
Alright, I picked up a 1/2 mL hypodermic needle from the drug store, so I'll be able to inject it. I shouldn't even need that much for just one tiny one should I? Do I have to remove it afterwards? I'll try to get a pic up just in case. It's clear, but most pics I've seen they look brown?

bertoni
01/24/2007, 08:27 PM
The color depends on the lighting they're getting. They turn clear in the dark as they lose zooxanthellae. You don't have to remove it afterward, especially if you're only killing one. If you're killing lots of them, removing the carcasses to prevent too much rotting can be critical.

b.branscombe
01/24/2007, 08:45 PM
Hmm, went downstairs with the camera to take a picture, but he's gone. I guess he's retracted for a while. Do they open and close on some sort of schedule, or do I just need to check every once in a while? Also, the tanks only been running for two months, could he be the only one, or am I looking at a long battle ahead?

bertoni
01/24/2007, 09:00 PM
I don't know of any schedule that they keep. There's probably more in the rock, though.