PDA

View Full Version : Penductors

Brisc0
01/24/2007, 07:32 PM
Just curious what the general thoughts on these are out in the community. I have an Ocean Motions 4-way and about three months ago I put a penductor on each of the outputs. Immediately I thought they were the greatest thing ever because of the apperance of greatly increased flow in the tank. By fluke I had to remove them last week and now I notice that I actually have better all around flow without them and feel like they created more of a "hot spot" flow than anything else. Anyhow, those are just my observations, just curious if any of you have had similar experiences or not?

Pomacanthus Rex
01/24/2007, 08:33 PM
from my research on penductors, it seems you need a good amount of water pressure to get them to work well.

Beenalongtime79
01/24/2007, 08:50 PM
So...

Penductors are great on long tanks. They do increase flow drastically, but unless you have a long tank (4 ft at least, 6 feet and greater for them to really work well).

The flow is so concentrated and directed (on a pressure rated pump such as a Mak4) that you need at least 2.5'-3' of clearance before you could even think of putting any corals in front of it without flesh being ripped off or the corals being extremely unhappy with you.

So, penductors are good for big tanks, not so much for little tanks as a lot of the flow is wasted by blasting it on the sides of your tank.

Cheers,
John