PDA

View Full Version : Super Skimmer Advice

brandonst878
01/24/2007, 09:27 PM
I have a Super Skimmer and have never found it to be as efficient as I wanted it to be. The instructions state that the pump needs to be around 3" from the surface for maximum air flow. They were not kidding. I have been moving the skimmer around to different places and building a new sump so I kind of let that instruction slide for a while. I was never that much below that distance but never achieved it until now. I finally found the final resting place for the skimmer and set the pump at the appropriate level. I can't tell you what a difference it has made. I advise anyone with one of these skimmers to be sure the pump is situated properly in relation to the top of the water to get the most out of the product.

Dubbin1
01/24/2007, 09:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9067174#post9067174 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brandonst878
I have a Super Skimmer and have never found it to be as efficient as I wanted it to be. The instructions state that the pump needs to be around 3" from the surface for maximum air flow. They were not kidding. I have been moving the skimmer around to different places and building a new sump so I kind of let that instruction slide for a while. I was never that much below that distance but never achieved it until now. I finally found the final resting place for the skimmer and set the pump at the appropriate level. I can't tell you what a difference it has made. I advise anyone with one of these skimmers to be sure the pump is situated properly in relation to the top of the water to get the most out of the product.

I have one on my cube tank and the pump has to be about 6" below the surface for best results ;) I must say though that I am SUPER impressed with these skimmers. $50 shipped was hard to beat.

zacharytrimble
01/25/2007, 12:15 AM
I have one that I love...picked it up for 30 bucks at a petstore closeout...my pump is quite deep in the sump as well...never had problems...that must be a key.

sumpinhabitant
01/25/2007, 01:29 AM
There's a difference between the needle wheel and venturi version as far as suggested pump heigth placement

Dubbin1
01/25/2007, 02:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9068712#post9068712 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sumpinhabitant
There's a difference between the needle wheel and venturi version as far as suggested pump heigth placement

Thats funny, mine has both a needle wheel and a venturi.