PDA

View Full Version : was gonna do a 10gal reef, now maybe 20g FOWLR, need advice

mrhat
01/25/2007, 04:39 PM
hi everyone, i posted a week ago or so about starting up a 10 gallon reef tank. recently i've been considering possibly forgoing the reef for a FOWLR setup, in a 20g long tank. i think i've realized that i am more interested in the fish themselves as opposed to building up a reef system.
my proposed setup is:
AGA 20g L (gonna return my 10g to get this)
Current USA Satellite 30" 1x65w PC
Aquaclear 110 HOB
Maxijet 900 (maybe 2 if needed)
20lbs live rock
20lbs argonite sand
then all the necessary testing equipment
would i need a protein skimmer if i do routine water changes?

as far as livestock, i am looking for advice on what i can put in there. i would like a pair of true percs, maybe a goby, and i was wondering if it would be reasonable to have maybe one bigger fish like a flame angel or valentini toby.

any comments you might have on the setup or livestock would be appreciated.

serpentman
01/25/2007, 04:52 PM
First, I would highly recommend going with a larger setup. Believe it or not, they are actually easier to maintain. Personally, I would go with either at least 40g or 55g as a good starter setup. Bigger is better in this case.

However, since that wasn't your question, I will stick on topic. You don't absolutely need a protein skimmer. However, they are very beneficial and HIGHLY recommended. It will allow a higher stocking level by removing protein wastes and increase gas exchange. In a 20g, I would say one is more important than a larger setup because wastes will build up in relation to water volume quicker. Just my .02

mrhat
01/25/2007, 05:00 PM
i would love to be able to go with a bigger tank, but i am pretty limited on space, with about a 20L being about the widest i can go. as far as protein skimmers go, what brand would you recommend?

BurntOutReefer
01/25/2007, 05:09 PM
IMO...skip the skimmer. The 110 will do a better job....with that thing in there...you wont have any floating "stuff".....
(actually might be to "big" for you 20G).....wont even need any powerheads either......
you ever seen one in action?........

BurntOutReefer
01/25/2007, 05:14 PM
get this attachement also...works awesome..
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/product/productInfo.web?picGroupKey=10589

mrhat
01/25/2007, 05:41 PM
you think the 110 will be too much? i havent seen one in action, but from what i had gathered reading threads, it seemed like it would be about right. what would you suggest?

BurntOutReefer
01/25/2007, 05:47 PM
the minimum setting on that filter is 300GPH...max is 500GPH....
so at 20G (approx:) that is going to give you 15x turnover (at 300GPH)...that is good.....but the flow on that thing is awesome...depending on rock layout etc....you should be fine...the point was that its got a huge flow rate...you wont even need those powerheads........go with it...you'll need it when you decide in two months that 20G isnt big enough anyway...;-)

mrhat
01/25/2007, 06:17 PM
haha, well we'll see about what happens in two months, but being in college, i really am limited on space, maybe once i graduate and get a place with enough room, i'll go wild and get a 100gal+ after having experience with the 20gal.

what do you think i could keep in there as far as livestock go?

mrhat
01/25/2007, 08:39 PM
bump

zma21
01/25/2007, 09:10 PM
Ok, yes, you will need power heads to get some random flow in there.

Second, Trust me, if you are going for a 20, get a 20 HIGH not a 20 long. The long will be really taken up space-wise once you get the sand bed in there. Anyways, the high allows for better aquascaping due to the longer height. I have a 20H right now and i don't regret it for a second that i didn't get the long.