PDA

View Full Version : Tap Water Filter vs. RO/DI?

Dan9
01/25/2007, 07:45 PM
I have finally realized that I need to use something other than my tap water in my tank. Phosphates are high and my water source is the problem. Is a tap water filter not as good as an RO/DI? What are the differences between the two other than the price? I don't really know too much about either and would like to hear everyone's opinions and knowledge. Thanks in advance for all the help.

sir_dudeguy
01/25/2007, 08:07 PM
tap water filter is nowhere NEAR as good as a RO/DI unit (if the unit costs more than like 60 bucks new that is haha)

Tap water filters are mostly just talked up by the company who makes them...some people buy into the crap but most (specially here) dont. I personally cannot tell you what the benefits are as i've never had a RO unit, but RO water (if the filters are changed regularly) should have 0 nitrate/phosphate/tds. It should be as pure as can be. Tap water "filters" probably just make it taste and look cleaner

lakwriter
01/25/2007, 08:10 PM
invest in an RO DI. Tap water has so much room for problems.

cowboyswife
01/25/2007, 08:12 PM
Until I get a ro/di unit, Ive been using distilled. If you do that, make sure you test the water before you use it.

bertoni
01/25/2007, 08:13 PM
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/rhf/index.php

That article explains RO-DI filters. Tapwater filters often just have a bit of activated carbon, and don't do much except improve the taste a bit.

Dan9
01/25/2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks a lot for the quick responses. Does it make a difference that the filter was made specifically for aquarium use. This is the one I was looking at at my LFS:
http://www.aquariumguys.com/tapwaterfilter.html
Thanks a lot

vr697getta
01/25/2007, 08:53 PM
i have that filter and it works great but the filter only last about 40 to 50 gallons MAX and the cheapest i found them are for 20 bucks each at one of my lfs i have a 110 tank and do 10% water changes every week and i use up to 3 filters a month so i will be upgrading soon to a ro/di

Dan9
01/25/2007, 08:55 PM
It sounds like I will be getting a RO/DI system after the info you have all given but now I have to pick one out. I really don't want to spend more than $150. What is the difference between a $150 one copmpared to a more expensive one? Thanks

vr697getta
01/25/2007, 09:01 PM
here is all kind of info for you maybe to much hope this helps
i think i will go with one from www.purelyh2o.com but i not sure even after reading all of that

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1018780&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

WaterKeeper
01/25/2007, 09:12 PM
How often do I need to say it-----

WATER

It is the most important ingredient in your tank.

Use only the best and see <a href="http://reefcentral.com/modules.php?s=&name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=2">RO/DI FAQ</a>

Dan9
01/25/2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks for all the help. What do you all think about this one?
http://www.purelyh2o.com/product.php?productid=16210&cat=249&page=1

Randy1
01/25/2007, 09:28 PM
thefilterguys.com

drummereef
01/25/2007, 09:49 PM
I second www.thefilterguys.com Great customer service before/after the sale. There is no substitue for pure water. :)

AZDesertRat
01/25/2007, 10:07 PM
Whatever you go with get a 75 GPD Dow Filmtec RO membrane or if its a Spectrapure either the 90 or 150 GPD membrane. Also make sure to get a refillable Vertical standard sized 10" refillable DI canister and cartridge. The on you listed does not have this and it will save you much much more than the difference in price in a very short time.
My personal choice and the very best RO/DI unit available today is the Spectrapure MaxCap system from www.spectrapure.com , nothing comes close to it for water quality and longevity of DI.
Others that are pretty darn good are the Optima series from www.purelyh2o.com , the Ocean Reef +1 from www.thefilterguys.biz and the Premium series from www.buckeyefieldsupply.com . All of these vendors are Reef Central sponsors and know how to take care of a reef system.

WaterKeeper
01/25/2007, 10:12 PM
And I will have you know that The Rat knows more about RO than I care to know and I'm a water guy myself.

AZDesertRat
01/25/2007, 10:19 PM
Hey Tom, how did I get more posts than you? Have you been slacking off lately? You need to share more of that warped information you posess!
If you all want good down to earth easy to grasp information read any of Waterkeepers posts on a multitude of topics. The guys a friggin genius!

WaterKeeper
01/25/2007, 10:21 PM
Being in a wheelchair for over 6 months kinda slowed me down abit. ;)

Dan9
01/26/2007, 08:03 AM
If I go with purely h2o, is this the one you suggest? Does it have the things you said I should get? Thanks a lot for all the help.
http://www.purelyh2o.com/product.php?productid=16134&cat=249&page=1

AZDesertRat
01/26/2007, 08:44 AM
Yep that is a great unit for the price. The only thing I would add is a handheld TDS meter.

Dan9
01/26/2007, 10:43 AM
On the bottom of the page it asks if I want to add the clear membrane housing and also if I want to add a flush kit. Do I? And what do they do? Thanks

AZDesertRat
01/26/2007, 11:16 AM
Clear housings don't do anything for you, in fact I prefer opaque housings so I do not expose the elements to direct lighting and possible bacterial or virial growth inside the housings. Clear plastic is also more brittle than colored plastic and has greater potential to crack if you experience water hammer or expansion.
A flush kit may provide some benefit if it is used correctly. If you flush for a minute or two immediately after making water it may provide some benefit by flushing contaminant off the membrane. Most people do not do this but flush before making water which is of limited value if at all since the stuff that collected last week has already hardened on the membrane and will not flush off now. My unit also makes drinking water automatically so I would never know hen to flush it so I don't own a flush kit. Personal preference I suppose, they are pretty inexpensive either way.

WaterKeeper
01/26/2007, 02:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9076299#post9076299 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
The guys a friggin genius!

Oh, and never count your genies before they hatch. :D

You do need to pay heed to the Rat. He is an expert in RO. Word has it that he has a huge battery of desalinization RO unit assembled at the Great Salt Lake and plans to drain it, then pipe it to Tucson to make a bass fishing pay lake. ;)

AZDesertRat
01/26/2007, 03:42 PM
Shhhhh.....You're giving away my retirement plans!

WaterKeeper
01/26/2007, 03:45 PM
Well I am pretty much retired. Maybe you could use me as I have knowledge of solar flash evaporator desalinization plants. ;)