PDA

View Full Version : Remind me. BH gasket in or out of tank?

Aqua Keepers
01/25/2007, 08:45 PM
I can't remember if BH gaskets go in or out of the tank. Also, does the side with the raised ridge go against the glass or the BH?

klasiksb
01/25/2007, 08:48 PM
The gasket goes on the short side of the bulkhead, away from the nut you screw on it. The gasket does not go up against the nut.

SDguy
01/25/2007, 08:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9075500#post9075500 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by klasiksb
The gasket goes on the short side of the bulkhead, away from the nut you screw on it. The gasket does not go up against the nut.

aka the flange end. :)

Aqua Keepers
01/25/2007, 09:02 PM
That's what I thought. My gasgets have a raised ridge on one side. I wanna say the raised ridge goes against the glass, but I cant remember. Do you guys?

klasiksb
01/25/2007, 09:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9075571#post9075571 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy
aka the flange end. :)

Thanks, that's what I was trying to say. :hmm4:

Aqua Keepers
01/25/2007, 09:08 PM
klasiksb, that's a cute dog.

SDguy
01/25/2007, 09:11 PM
The cross section will be:

Flange ---> gasket ---> glass ---> nut

Occasionally, some larger bulkheads come with gaskets on both sides (I have some cheap 1.5" ones like that). In this case, the cross section will be:

Flange ---> gasket ---> glass ---> gasket ---> slip disc ---> nut.

hth

Aqua Keepers
01/25/2007, 09:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9075696#post9075696 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy
Flange ---> gasket ---> glass ---> nut
hth
Yeah I get this and thank you. However, I need to know what side of my gasket goes against the glass. As I said, one side has a raised ridge on it. I just rebuilt this tank and wanna try to fill it up with water to test it for leaks to night.

SDguy
01/25/2007, 10:08 PM
OK, how about :

[water] Flange ---> gasket ---> glass ---> nut [dry]

for most tank applications.

Often people reverse this when adding bulkheads to sumps.

Aqua Keepers
01/25/2007, 10:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9076198#post9076198 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy
OK, how about :

[water] Flange ---> gasket ---> glass ---> nut [dry]

for most tank applications.

Often people reverse this when adding bulkheads to sumps.

Not sure if I'm asking you this right (I been drinking) or if you just clarifying this for others. I get the fact that the gasket goes on the wet side and that the flange is in stalled from the wet side with the nut portion on the other side. However, my gasket has a flat side and a side with a raised ridge. I'm trying to figure out what side of the gasket goes againsed the glass.

Michael Mota
01/25/2007, 10:36 PM
pito if i remember correctly the raised side of the gasket goes against the bulk head and the flat side goes against the glass
i for one always coat the gasket with silicone on both sides of the gasket for extra insurance. never had one leak since i have been doing this. Just tighten them a bit more than hand tight.

Aqua Keepers
01/25/2007, 10:45 PM
See I remember it being the opposit. Ridge side against the glass.
I dont want the BH in Permanently yet. So silicone's not an option.

Aqua Keepers
01/25/2007, 10:47 PM
Screw the water test. I'm going back to the bar!!!!!!!

Michael Mota
01/25/2007, 10:50 PM
I hear ya, just wish I could join ya but with all the drugs i am on not a good idea but i will take a rain check

Bergovoy
01/26/2007, 02:30 AM
ACtually the drugs are like an instant savings coupon. You need to drink less, so you are getting twice as high for half the cost...

jdieck
01/26/2007, 02:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9076541#post9076541 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pito
See I remember it being the opposit. Ridge side against the glass.
I dont want the BH in Permanently yet. So silicone's not an option.
The ridge goes agains the rough side. Because the glass is smoother say than a poly tank you can put the ridge eitherway although I will use it against the bulkhead flange as the flange might have small imperfections due to the injection mould. (Usually a mould joint line)

SDguy
01/26/2007, 07:01 AM
Oh, I get what you are talking about. Only one of my bulkheads ever had what you are describing on the gasket, and the imperfection was so slight, I paid no attention.

Michael Mota
01/26/2007, 07:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9077548#post9077548 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bergovoy
ACtually the drugs are like an instant savings coupon. You need to drink less, so you are getting twice as high for half the cost...
I see your point but this stuff makes me sick unlike drinking:)

Bergovoy
01/26/2007, 09:09 AM
I used to be liek that. I never took drugs when I was younger, and not much of a drinker. I am pretty much a conrol freak about myself. I always needed to be in control of myself.

But i have had some medical issues in the last five years or so, and after the couple of surgeries I had, and the chronic pain and stuff, I have found that I can tolerate the drugs and function better then I could without the drugs and feeling the pain.

The pain is so distracting that I could not concentrate, not finish sentences etc...

So, either way, I am not able to concentrate, with drugs without drugs.

So, if I have to be an idiot, I might as well do it so I am not in pain.

IT has taken many years to find the combination of drugs that works the best

Bill

MrSpiffy
01/26/2007, 09:50 AM
Gasket goes on the inside of the tank, always. That way you have water pressure holding the seal on top of the nut for clamping pressure.

Aqua Keepers
01/26/2007, 11:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9077590#post9077590 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdieck
The ridge goes agains the rough side. Because the glass is smoother say than a poly tank you can put the ridge eitherway although I will use it against the bulkhead flange as the flange might have small imperfections due to the injection mould. (Usually a mould joint line)

This makes sence. I'm just waiting for the PVC to dry. Thanks all.