PDA

View Full Version : Need to setup my bak pak skimmer.

mfp4073
01/25/2007, 10:30 PM
I got one recently off another reefcentral user, but I dont have a clue on how to set it. There is the air tube adjustment and the collection cup height. I am getting bubbles and liquid in the collection cup, but compared to my via aqua HOB that it replaced the skim does not seem as "goopy" and more watery and light.

OO7
01/25/2007, 10:45 PM
I ran a bak pak for a couple years and it was never a very thick skimmate. Watery was more like it.

flfirefighter13
01/26/2007, 07:34 AM
I never messed with the air tube, left it wide open, adjust the cup height till the water is at the bottom. As far as goopyness I found that the goopyness factor seemed to change with what tank I put it on. on my 75 it was thicker than on my 20, then when I put it onto my other 20 it was thick for a while then went to thinner. Hope that helps and doesnt just confuse you more:)

mfp4073
01/26/2007, 11:10 AM
hehe, hey bryan (am I spelling that right?), I adjusted the air to a point where the return was flowing what looked to be right and not glugging and pushing air bubbles into tank. I also set the cup at the height with the water, but was not geting the skim I was used to with my other unit (have been told it was a bad design on the old one). it seems to be bubbling, just not the same goopy skim from my old skimmer. The way the overflow works is different so the fact that its not getting water from the top 1mm instead of the top 5mm may be making a difference too.