PDA

View Full Version : My 55g SPS dominant Reef Build W/pic’s

RobsReefs
01/25/2007, 11:21 PM
Well I have had a passion for saltwater/Reef tanks for a long time now. I am currently planning and building my 55g acrylic reef tank. It will be my 3ed reef tank, and the one that will have the most time, planning, and money in it. It has been in process for almost a month now, and will take about one more month until it will see water. Not because I’m slow, I’m on a budget that is kind of tight to say the least.

Now I have to ask for some advice on my flow plan. I am looking to build a mixed reef with SPS, LPS and 6-7 fish mainly a SPS tank though. It is a 55g 48’’ long acrylic tank with two, one inch drains with a built in overflow. Sump is a 13g acrylic with an ASM G2 protein skimmer with recalculating and mesh wheel mods. Lighting is 2 ARO electronic 250w ballasts with 2 XM HQI 10k Retro’s and 2x 65w PC actinic 03 bulbs. The part were I am stuck is the flow.

I have a little giant external pump 3mdqx-sc 1150gph at 1 foot witch I plan on running as my return pump. I have to run an external pump because the skimmer is all that fits in the sump after all the baffles and intake. Right now the pump is ran through 1 inch PVC up to a ¾’’ lock-line with a Y and 2 adjustable sprayers. I also have 1 Seio 620. I know I need more flow than that and got to thinking about a closed loop with the little giant and a new 700 or so GPH sump return pump (like a mag 9.5, head loss would put it at 750 or so right) .

So my question is should I use the little giant as a closed loop and get a new sump pump. I don’t care for the mag pumps much is there a good external pump that I could use for my setup and not need the powerhead. Or should I just use it as the return pump and do a maxi jet with the mod or something like that. Will post some pics this weekend, Thank you, Robert

RobsReefs
01/25/2007, 11:23 PM
I have this Thread in a outher forum, but am getting no responce. ill try it here because i know flow is so important and want to get it right. Thanks

RobsReefs
01/26/2007, 12:49 AM
Anyone have any idea how much flow i should have in my 55.
10x, 20x. turn over. how about sump turn over. please.....

dvanacker
01/26/2007, 06:57 AM
If this is mostly SPS I would definately go for more then 20x in the display.

bosborn1
01/26/2007, 11:18 AM
Use the LG as the return and go with maximods. Shoot for 30-40x turnover

Scott

RobsReefs
01/26/2007, 11:36 AM
that is how it is plumed now, i just keep geting ppl saying the LG is to much flow through the sump. i think it is to small for a closed loop. so can i get a fue more ppl to say its ok to run the LG as sump return and do maxijets to get 40x "witch is 2200 gph" turnover in my 55.

also a moded maxijet, How much flow will the produce?

LG= 974 gph after head loss
Maxijet= 1000gph or so right? Maby more?
Total= 1974 Gph in a 55g sounds good to me?

GSMguy
01/26/2007, 11:40 AM
no closed loop no maxijets a maxi mod would work or some tunze nano streams 2x6055 or 2hydor koralia 4s

RobsReefs
01/26/2007, 11:48 AM
i here alot about the tunze nano streams. its a 55 and i dont want a lot of powerheads, is ther one that i could use on the outher side of the tank. one side has a y withe the sump return.

bosborn1
01/26/2007, 11:55 AM
I would go with 2 of the smaller Maxis. That LG will be ok. You can always back it down with a ball valve.

For the Maxis I would get the bell housings from mjmods.com to mod two Maxi900s Put those at opposing ends of the tank and use the return to break it up. That would give you
Say 700 gph on a valved LG
2000 gph out of two small Maxis
2700 gph.
I would go with the maxis over the Seio because I think the new housing maxis are easier to hide.

Also I noticed thats a bit of light over the tank. Are you going to run a chiller?

Scott

RobsReefs
01/26/2007, 12:06 PM
I plan on finding one in a month or two. probably used

RobsReefs
01/26/2007, 12:10 PM
Also I don't have the Xm 10k's yet is there a good 250w de 14k bulb i could use without my PC's. I have the ballasts and reflectors already

EDIT: i just read the thread about the Phoenix 14K's. i like the idea on only using the halide's how would these to setups compare

10k Xm's with Pc's Vs Phoenix 14K's