PDA

View Full Version : True Perc Sexing?

luv2reef
01/26/2007, 12:11 AM
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p135/luv2reef/NewClown1.jpg

I know this picture isn't the best but I was wondering if anyone has any input on the sex of my pair....who is M who is F....
Info...I had the larger perc paired with another but then one died.
I waited awihle found a perc that I like introduced them and so far so good, it's been about 2 weeks. The one I added is about half the size of the established perc. Their isn't much "body language" that I have seen from either of them.....when will I know if they will pair? eventually mate??

luv2reef
01/26/2007, 12:16 AM
one more thing......is it possible that the smaller one is sexless still?? I understand that the sex of these fish can change but I don't know how long this process takes etc. any input is greatly appreciated love the site and all the helpfulness it has brought to me!!

Tang~Cop
01/26/2007, 12:59 AM
Top one is female, mainly because she is bigger.

luv2reef
01/26/2007, 01:09 AM
what kind of "actions" can I look for...how does the male usually act/do what does the female usually do/act??

Random Aquarist
01/26/2007, 08:47 AM
Trust me. The one on the right is the female. The females are ALWAYS bigger. They're also ALWAYS darker, unless you have a mixed-species pair.

GSMguy
01/26/2007, 10:00 AM
size difference is the way to tell female is 99%of the time larger smaller one should be submissive he may shake and lay on his side for her and she may charge him at the pectoral fin

raoul
01/26/2007, 10:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9078445#post9078445 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Random Aquarist
Trust me. The one on the right is the female. The females are ALWAYS bigger. They're also ALWAYS darker, unless you have a mixed-species pair.

My male is darker than my female, and as far as I can tell, they're both orange occell.'s We've had them for about 2 1/2 years, when we got them they were about the same size, and the one that became the male has always been darker.

savethereef
01/26/2007, 11:14 AM
the one on the right is the female i think. The larger one is the girl and the small one is the boy but remember once they are a girl there is no going back when they are borne they are all boys then they either stay like that or change sex according to partner

luv2reef
01/26/2007, 11:22 AM
Is it safe to assume that one is male and one is female?

Slakker
01/26/2007, 05:00 PM
If they aren't fighting each other to the death, one is for sure male and the other is female. The larger one is the female of the pair, as stated above.

Congrats on your gorgeous clowns!

raoul
01/26/2007, 05:04 PM
I'm fairly certain that if both are female, there would be a lot of fighting, not just the intimidation you might expect from the female towards a male or juvi that hasn't chaned yet.

Those are just the ramblings of my mind, don't take my word for it, see if you can verify it with the FAQ's or something.

Good luck!

*noticed Slakker and I were posting at the same time :)