PDA

View Full Version : Who have fluidized bed

archie1709
01/26/2007, 12:17 AM
I am looking into fluidized bed. Wow they are expensive. So how is this filter different from any other types of filter. Also, how does this work?

They talked about sand and stuff when you look around the net. What sand?

Also, what if I want to use fluidized bed for phosphate removal?

If a fluidized bed is $200+, why? ....thanks

01/26/2007, 06:34 AM
I think fluidized bed filters with sand are more appropriate in fresh water aquariums. The sand granules are suspended in water and offer a large surface area for bacteria to live on. We have live rock for that. You can run them with carbon or some phosphate absorbing media, which is probably more useful to you. Cost probably comes down to the quality of construction, extruded acrylic tube is relatively expensive.

archie1709
01/26/2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks!

cristhiam
01/26/2007, 01:15 PM
is fluidized bed the same as running a remote DSB? I've been looking at them too :)

tanker
01/26/2007, 04:18 PM
No. They are two totally different types of filters. One is more for Bio filter, the other is a good nitrate remover.

GSMguy
01/26/2007, 04:29 PM
rdsb is a great way to get rid of nitrates

Mr31415
01/26/2007, 04:41 PM
I am running a FSB filter in my predator tank - the LR is not enough to remove all the wastes. The idea like another poster said is to have very fine sand particles suspended in a water column. It was calculated that the surface area of 1kg of sand in a FSB filter is more than a wet/dry bioball filter the size of a house (or something like that) - the moral is just that there is an incredible surface area so it is highly efficient to convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate (because it is aerobic). The problem (as in my case) - it works so well that I have huge nitrate issues.

That is where a DSB or macro algae and LR helps. To break down nitrate to N2 - done by the anaerobic bacteria. My opinion is yes it helps a lot - but you still need other filters to remove the nitrates.

Mr31415
01/26/2007, 04:41 PM
** Sorry this is a double post - Moderators please zap me (the post, not me) **