PDA

View Full Version : Button Polyp

macperry
01/26/2007, 02:15 PM
What is the best way to remove a button polyp from live rock? There is a small colony starting that I do not want to grow in that particular spot. I can't move the rock, because it is on a large piece of base rock.

racrumrine
01/26/2007, 02:31 PM
If you don't want to keep it, you can do the following.

Snap a chopstick in half. Stick the jagged edge into the polyp. Twirl.

Works on Polyps, and majano anemones; but, not aptaisa.

If you want to keep it, you can dig under it with a knife and lift it up with the piece of rock it's attached to.

Best of luck,

Roy

macperry
01/26/2007, 02:38 PM
racrumrine: Don't want to keep em...so the chopstick method sounds good. When you squash a polyp like i'm about to do, will they release any sort of toxin intot he water? I've learned that anything you do in a nano needs to be done with caution, or there goes the water chemistry.

L and L
01/26/2007, 02:40 PM
I agree with Roy. I would dig under it w/ a knife and place it where you want it.

L and L
01/26/2007, 02:44 PM
The toxin you are probably referring to is "palytoxin". It is a neurotoxin in the species of Palythoa.

I don't see why you'd want to kill it. It should be pretty easy to chip it off. You get to place it where you want it and don't have to get into the whole toxin debate.

macperry
01/26/2007, 02:47 PM
Will the palytoxin released by 3 or 4 polyps be enough to mess with the water chemistry?

L and L
01/26/2007, 02:54 PM
I've only read where it was dangerous to humans upon contact.

Filefish eat zoanthids.

I really don't know the answer. If it were me and I didn't find an answer... I would remove one of them and monitor the live aquaria (maybe even having water change saltwater handy).

racrumrine
01/26/2007, 05:22 PM
If it's only one polyp, I don't think you'll have a problem.

If you want, you can do one or two at a time. Then, get the rest of them a couple of days later.

Best of luck,

Roy

drummereef
01/26/2007, 07:05 PM
Here's an article about fragging zoas. http://www.zoaid.com/articles003.php