PDA

View Full Version : Coralline algae question??

TonyOrlando
01/26/2007, 04:40 PM
My tank has been up for a lil over 4 months. I have 65 pounds of hatian and fiji mix LR. The hatian was the first stuff i put in the tank and only shows a very little bit of corraline algae. My fiji i bought cured which already had some on it. Why havnt i got much on the rocks or glass yet. I see some tanks that are very new that have it all over the glass and rocks. I am dosing with Aqua Philic A and B every other day. I also used purple up for a while, but made my water too cloudy? Any help would be great!!

TekCat
01/26/2007, 04:53 PM
What are your Ca, Alk, and Mg levels? keeping these parameters up to par would give you alot better results than Purple Up or other "magic potion" ever could.

Dosing two part additives is one of the ways to keep Ca and Alk in check.

... also check your phosphates... if they are too high, they can inhibit calcification.

hth

WaterKeeper
01/26/2007, 06:05 PM
Right on Cat. Coralline by nature is slow growing in a tank with good nutrient control. The main thing about coralline is it competes against unwanted nuisance algae. If you don't have a hair algae problem I wouldn't be too concerned. You are probably doing everything right.

drummereef
01/26/2007, 08:04 PM
Totally agree. Since using Randy's 2-part additive and keepin my alk and calcium in balance the coralline is relentless, in a good way. :)

TonyOrlando
01/26/2007, 09:37 PM
my phosphates are high and i do have some red(cyno)/red slime algae. Im now in the process of getting them out with several different methods.