PDA

View Full Version : best way to hang my light

motlot77
01/26/2007, 08:12 PM
i have 2 x 65 watt pc system that i'm using for my tank and currently it's not high enough. it sits precariously on the black trim part of the tank. i've already dropped it in the water once, so now i really need to get it off the tank.

what's the best way to raise it up a little bit? i don't feel like hanging it from the ceiling but i guess if it's a last resort i will.

anyone have an idea for something that will clip to the tank maybe?

thanks!

Gundo5000
01/26/2007, 09:09 PM
Build a canopy and mount it inside.

motlot77
01/26/2007, 09:22 PM
i was trying to keep it fast and simple. any other ways?

musty baby
01/26/2007, 09:37 PM
Don't know how big your tank is, but if it's a 2x65 watt I assume something less than 30 gallons...

With PC I'd personally try NOT to raise it any. I'd try to put something on the ends of the tank that will support it and keep it close to utilize the light. You say it sits precariously, I assume because it's slightly shorter than the tank? Why not just get some thin wood pieces to set (or fix into place with some silicon) on the plastic trim to fix the precariousness of its location?

GSMguy
01/26/2007, 09:47 PM
here is what i do with powercompact i wait till i need to replace the bulbs then i throw them in the trash and buy t5s

motlot77
01/26/2007, 10:13 PM
wood sounds like it'll do the trick.

will t5s fit in the same setup?

The0wn4g3
01/26/2007, 11:55 PM
It really depends on the capacity and depth of your tank. If it is 30 gallons like it sounds, PC's are just fine. Try to mount it in a way that is is less than 6in from the top of the tank. Some wooden mounts would probably be easiest. I would recommend sealing them to prevent warping and rotting and such, seeing as it will be above saltwater.