PDA

View Full Version : Sally Lightfoot Crabs in a Reef Tank

carbuyersfriend
01/27/2007, 08:53 PM
I just two hours ago purchaed a pair (male and female) of Sally Lightfoots. My wife loves all the cleaner crew guys so thought she would like these. Well.....she does....however after consulting my marine invertebrates book I find these crabs are lible to eat my corals and my hermits and even some slow moving fish. I checked with a neighbor that has a reef tank and a Sally and he has not had any trouble. I have about 100 pounds of live rock in my tank, seven fish and numerous hermits and peppermint shrimp. Oh...also a cleaner shrimp and two turbo snails. Can anybody tell me if I should banish these two to my refug or are they ok in my main tank??

bertoni
01/27/2007, 09:00 PM
They might start eating various animals, especially as they grow larger. I wouldn't take the risk, personally, but they might behave well, at least for a while.

Dubbin1
01/27/2007, 09:00 PM
A buddy of mine has one in his full blown reef tank and has had zero problems.

BTW you REALLY should check this stuff BEFORE you buy ;)

scottwhitson
01/27/2007, 09:09 PM
We had a sally in our tank he was fine for about six months and then devoured two fish. It took a while to figure out what happened to the first one but then we saw him grab the second. The fist was a lawnmower blenny and the other a firefish. I wouldn't buy one again.

carbuyersfriend
01/27/2007, 09:31 PM
Thank you all. I was able to net the male and I did put him in the refug. Now I'll just wait for a chance to nab the female. I am setting up a 120 on the main floor of our home and will have a really large regug in the basement so....guess where these two will abide. And you are right Duddin1... read BEFORE the purchase not after!!!! I have punished myself already.

cowboyswife
01/28/2007, 07:03 AM
When I was at a LFS this weekend, I saw one grab a mandarin and eat it.

Allin14
01/28/2007, 11:10 AM
I have one in my tank right now, he's about med size and he's fine

FloridaPride
01/28/2007, 11:32 AM
Will an Emerald Crab do the same thing, as far as eating things that you don't want them to eat?

SgJsg35
01/28/2007, 11:51 AM
No an emerald will be fine they are mostly herbivorous.I have had them for over a year with no problems.They will scavenge if there isnt enough algae.

carbuyersfriend
01/28/2007, 10:15 PM
Can't catch the female....any ideas about how to trap her ???

bertoni
01/28/2007, 10:26 PM
Emeralds have been reported to catch and eat fish, especially as they grow, and other animals sooner. Lots of them behave well, though.

I have no idea about how to catch the female, other than the normal soda-bottle trap.

carbuyersfriend
01/29/2007, 11:44 AM
Alls well...was able to net the female late last night...will go back to the LFS today for store credit!!! Next time I wll ask here first and read before buying !!! Thanks All

bertoni
01/29/2007, 06:00 PM
Sounds good!