PDA

View Full Version : Help me with pipe sizes for my CL. Please.

scottwhitson
01/27/2007, 09:27 PM
First off this is going to be long so please bear with me.

I am getting ready to buy pipe and fittings for my closed loop setup and need help or suggestions.

Setup will be over the back with a panworld 1750 GPH pump with one inch inlet and outlet that will feed a oceans motions 4-way with two outlets open at the same time.

Now for the questions. On the inlet side of the pump should I use one inlet with 1.5" or two with 1 inch?

I am also using 3/4" Locline fittings with spray nozzles and am planning to use 8 outlets so should I use 1" pipe all the way to the nozzles or could I get away with 3/4" and not limit the flow too much??

I am looking to save space behind the tank so the smaller the better but don't want to starve the pump or inhibit flow. All help welcomed.

Untamed12
01/28/2007, 12:03 AM
#1 rule of pumps in not to restrict the inlet. Your pump inlet is 1", so a single 1.5" inlet sounds fine.

I believe that you should use 1" pipe from the 4-ways all the way to the nozzles.

scottwhitson
01/28/2007, 12:45 AM
Thanks Untamed the reason I was wondering about two 1" inlets is that I have heard some people saying that when they had one inlet that it became clogged and was starving their pump. I didn't know if the two inlets at 1" would be better or if that would be enough??

Anyone else???

Bergovoy
01/28/2007, 12:50 AM
Are you saying that you want to put in two inlet lines in the tank and join them into a single inlet into your pump? If so, yes that would be fine.

Are you also saying that you are going to branch off each outlet from the OM four way to two pipes each?

If not it is not wise to put a smaller nozzle on the outlet as that will restrict the flow from teh OM. Although two holes are open at the same time you still want as much flow as possible.

I am not sure of the rating of your pump, but with only one inch inlet and your trying to power eight heads, I think it may be a bit small.

You might want to contact Paul at Oceans Motions and go over your plan with him directly.

Good luck.

Bill