PDA

View Full Version : The coral banded bully .. how do i stop this tank take over ?

j007dreamer
01/27/2007, 11:28 PM
I just got a coral banded shrimp and he seems to be taking over everything.

I watched him for about 20 mins and seen him go after a emerald crab my hippo tang and my kole tang

and bit a CORAL !!!!! i also seen him the other day going after my cleaner shrimp ????

So i get his guy out of the tank... Are most coral banded shrimp as mean as this guy ???????:eek2:

jtreath
01/27/2007, 11:31 PM
He probably was only attacking the cleaner shrimp. He was probably trying to clean your Tangs, and was probably competing for food with your emerald.

Coral Banded Shrimp do not always get along with other shrimp.

AaronKelly
01/27/2007, 11:36 PM
actually from my experience with a coral banded shrimp, some of them can be aggressive. i put mine in the tank and right away went after my trigger and got a piece of its tail, the trigger turned right aorund and bit its claw off, i sold him back.

reeferman06
01/27/2007, 11:38 PM
Yep, I had one for about a year, and at first I didn't notice anything odd, but I watched him at night(with the lights off) chase my cleaner shrimp and firefish, then he killed my perpermint shrimp and some small chromis! I had a hitchhiked mantis shrimp, and I thought he was doing it, but once I took him out, the killing continued, which let me know it was the coral banded!!!, take him out ASAP!

reeferman06
01/28/2007, 12:29 AM
Yep, I had one for about a year, and at first I didn't notice anything odd, but I watched him at night(with the lights off) chase my cleaner shrimp and firefish, then he killed my perpermint shrimp and some small chromis! I had a hitchhiked mantis shrimp, and I thought he was doing it, but once I took him out, the killing continued, which let me know it was the coral banded!!!, take him out ASAP!

JmLee
01/28/2007, 01:58 AM
i speared mine after he tried to eat my yellow tang....... I know some people would be against it... but after trying to catch him i said screw it...

rollnheavy
01/28/2007, 09:15 PM
i just put mine in the sump after he chased my powder blue,grabbed him by the tail and rode him half across the tank.
i have seen him eat hundreds of brislteworms and a few crabs.

just to much ,hes going back for some peps..

josh holt
01/28/2007, 09:23 PM
i have two cleaner shrimp, two emrald crabs, several hermits and a coral banded shrimp in my 125. all of them get along. the two cleaner shrimp hang out under the rock right above the rock where the coral banded shrimp hangs out. occasionally he will chase the cleaner shrimp or a fish when it swims by but never attacks anything.