PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate issues

skippyreef
01/28/2007, 02:49 PM
I have been having issues with STN since set up. The tank was set up with a medium depth sand bed, H&S A-200 skimmer and set up the way I have set up every tank I have had with the exception of this time I did not use life rock but instead used a new popular product from Europe.

I have a sizable ivesetment in this product because I aquascaped my entire 270 gallon with it. I do not overfeed the tank and have no bioload with only 12 small size fish in the tank at present and the clean up critters. I do have a macroalgea refugium as well and do water changes along with running carbon. A friend is having similiar issues and also used the same product.

My nitrates are anywhere from 50 in the mornign to 100 a few hours after I feed the tank.

I am wondering if the product lacks the pourosity to reduce nitrate and / or support the bacteria population necessary for even the minimal bioload that I have.

To rememdy this I am planning on redoing the tank in all live rock and replacing 50% of the sand bed. Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

texreefer
01/28/2007, 04:02 PM
you refer to it several times as "this product" what is it? you probably don't have enough of a bacteria population to break down the waste

TandN
01/28/2007, 04:06 PM
Try LR in youe sump ALOT of it

skippyreef
01/28/2007, 04:17 PM
Its the Reef Ceramics Product. I have had it in the tank since May 2005. I wouldn't be so concerned but there are others I know having hte exact same issues I am.

NewbieForever
01/28/2007, 04:54 PM
Have you thought about about one of these?

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MA-SD721&Category_Code=denitrate