PDA

View Full Version : building first sump!! please help!!!

champscorner
01/28/2007, 04:08 PM
i just bought everyting i believe i need to build my first sump out of acrylic!!! i have a rookie question as i haven't built anything quit like this before, espeacially out of acrylic. when i'm using the weldon 4 i will be glueing/fuseing all the perimeter pieces to the bottom piece outside edge, how can i clamp this to hold it at the 90 deg angle i need while it dries? also i want to put teeth in the refugium baffle is there a way to do this(with clean cuts) without using a router saw? would a dremmel work? as i have acsess to one. thanks

slumpysix
01/28/2007, 04:38 PM
Some use filled plastic pop bottles on either side to stabalize the pieces as the glue sets. I personally used blue painters tape and taped the speed squares to hold in place while keeping the piece square. Go slow and do one piece at a time. A router is the best way to cut the grooves in . You want to make sure to clamp the acrylic securely when cutting grooves. I never have used a dremmel to cut grooves but maybe someone else has. Make sure you sand the edges flat before glueing. Good luck

go here for some valuable info
http://www.melevsreef.com/tools.html

champscorner
01/28/2007, 04:57 PM
thanks man, i've been all over melevsreef's site for the last couple of weeks studying up. so the speed squares with painters tape will hold? i guess i was thinking i need a clamp to apply some pressure while the weldon is setting. how long do you wait in between bonding each piece? thanks for the luck hopefully she'll hold for me!!!

cmomo0128
01/28/2007, 06:29 PM
Holding each in place for about 5 mins will usually set it strong enough to stand freely. I always start with the sides of the sump first ( glue all the baffles and ends to one side ) and then let it set overnight. The next day I put the other side on and go from there.

champscorner
01/29/2007, 03:17 PM
thanks guys!!!
I'm starting on it tonight.