PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Iwasaki 15K

Shawnts106
01/28/2007, 06:07 PM
Who uses this bulb? whats the color like? what ballast are you running it on? what wattage bulb are you running?

etc...

Froggy
01/28/2007, 07:58 PM
Hello, I just started using the Iwasaki 15 K bulb near the beginning of December. I use 2 of the 175 watt bulbs ( isn't that the only wattage released so far ? ) along with 2 110 watt actinic VHO's on my 75.

I have used 175 watt Hamilton 10 K ( pretty yellow to my eyes with decent PAR , 71 PPFD on Mag ballast), 175 watt 14 K Hamilton ( really blue, low PAR, and SPS lost most color under them ), and 175 watt 10 K Coralvue reeflux ( I liked the color and most SPS gained a bit better coloration under them ) prior to switching to the Iwasaki's in December. I currently run the Iwasaki's on a Hamilton magnetic probe start ballast which gives the Iwasaki's about 71 PPFD ). My SPS have already gained much more color and are improving daily IMO. I have a pink Mille or Prostrata frag ( not sure which ) that lost all color and went pale under the Hamilton 14 K's and never regained color under the reeflux. So far under the Iwasaki's, I can see red/pink coloration coming back in parts of the branches. My Red monti cap went pink under the Reeflux and is getting darker red again under the Iwasaki's.

I am considering switching to an electronic ballast to take full advantage of the Iwasaki's 86 PPFD on them but am very happy so far even on the Hamilton mag ballast. I would definitely reccomend them to others and will always use the Iwasaki's from now on as long as I am with 175 watters....unless something better comes along :) .

The reports that the Iwasaki's appear white to the eye and not bluish is correct even though they are 14-15 K bulbs. They are actually how a 14 K bulb should look on the spectral charts and most other 14 K bulbs in other brands actually look more like a 20 K ( especially the Hamilton 14 K VERY blue ). If you want a blue look the Iwasaki's may not be the right look for you but they perform very well. Let me know if you have any other questions about them. Feel free to ask....:) :D

manderx
01/28/2007, 08:12 PM
i ran 4 over a 3x3 on icecaps and was very happy with them (hit my red house for pics of them). i recently switched to 250w reeflux 12s just because i was bored and wanted to try something new, but my stuff did better under the iwasakis and i would go back to them if i hadn't already sold them.