PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Mushroom Frag

NWJayhawk
01/28/2007, 11:18 PM
Picked up my first mushroom frag from LFS today, and to my pleasant surprise there were about 5 zoanthid polyps hiding under the mushroom. My intention was to place the mushroom in a little "cave" for less light (although I only have 330W VHO.) Now, with the appearance of the zoas, I'm wondering about my positioning decision. With VHO, do I need to worry about "shading" the shroom or should I place where light can properly get to the zoanthids? Zoas seem to be stretching up to reach more light.
I guess my impression was that mushrooms were happier in lower flow/ lower light locations. Thanks in advance!

chrisstie
01/28/2007, 11:55 PM
they usually dont like a lot of bright light depending on the shroom but zoos and shrooms rquire about the same amount of light\care

kiknchikn
01/29/2007, 01:59 PM
If they're reaching up for more light they're good candidates for relocation ;) Chop/peel them off and glue them to another rock. Just something to think about.

drummereef
01/30/2007, 10:36 PM
Do a little experimenting around to find the best placement. It took me weeks to find where my shrooms are happy. Although I have quite a bit of flow...

NWJayhawk
01/30/2007, 11:53 PM
Well, the mushroom is definately happy ... zoanthids are entirely covered by the mushroom. Which probably explains why I didn't see them at the LFS. I think I'll leave 'em alone for now, but looks like I may need to try my hand at cutting them apart at some point.