PDA

View Full Version : Rock Question??

Ranger_kill
01/29/2007, 01:14 AM
I have had a 130 gallon setup 8 months now. It has 2 250 XM 20k on it and a deltec ap600. I also have a 46 g bow front which was my main coral tank. I am in the middle of moving over the corals when it hit me. I know i have read some where that putting to much rock in your tank at a time can cause ammonia spikes.

My question is this since I am moving Live rock from an establish to another established tank is this an issue??

So far all the corals that I have moved have instantly come back out. Everyone seems happy.

I am turning the 46 bow into a one fish tank, namely my dog face puffer so I will only be leaving enough rock to build him a nice hut. Was going to get ride of him but for you puffer owners you know how hard it can be to get rid of your dog :)

James983
01/29/2007, 04:44 AM
You get an ammonia spike when the LR is out of the water too long and there is die off on the rock. If your taking LR from one tank and immediately putting it in another tank you will be fine. Try to keep the rock your moving submerged in case you have any sponges growing.

Ranger_kill
01/29/2007, 08:07 AM
Thanks James, one of those I think I am safe things but better to get a second opinion.

alan214
01/29/2007, 08:14 AM
I agree with James. There should be no ammonia spiking problems in your situation.