PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Live Rock

madimod
01/29/2007, 12:41 PM
I'VE HAD A TANK SET UP FOR CLOSE TO A YEAR BUT IT CRASHED
DUE TO A LEAK IN MY SUMP SO TO MUCH TOP OFF WATER(WITH KALK) WAS BEING INTODUCED TO THE SYSTEM SINCE THEN I SHUT OFF MY SKIMMER AND THE TANK HAS BEEN OVER RIN WITH ALGEA..
SO MY QUESTION IS WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO START OVER WITH MY EXHISTING LIVE ROCK? MY PLAN WAS TO USE MY NEVER USED MINI PRESSURE WASHER WITHOUT SOLUTION TO WASH THE ROCK.OR SHOULD JUST SCRUB THE HEAK OUT OF IT IN NEW SALT WATER

woodstock '69
01/29/2007, 01:13 PM
Spelling and punctuation? USING ALL CAPS ON THE INTERNET IS THE WAY YOU EXPRESS SOMETHING WITH A LOUD AND SCREEMING VOICE. Thats why you only see a word here or a word there in CAPS.

If if were my rock, I would soak it in a bucket with a little chlorox and water - maybe about 10%-20% solution. That should kill any life on and in the rock. Then I would soak it for a day or two in a dechlorinator and water like prime or amquel. I would probably do that twice. And I would try to keep a pump or two circulating the water to make sure it gets everywhere. Then it is tank safe. Just buy a couple pieces of lr to help seed or start the base rock back on it's way to becoming lr.

Michael

SaltyDr
01/29/2007, 02:57 PM
If you nuke it, it won't be useful right away. If it is only nuisance algae that is there you could just scrub it in saltwater or either put it in a garbage can with a heater and PH in the dark for a week or two or just wrap the tank to block all light. The algae dies, you save some other life and bacteria and then you are good to go. If all of the coralline is gone, get a few new pieces and this will seed the rest. GOOD LUCK!