PDA

View Full Version : Lighthouse Controllers & Bit Torrent Programs

tgreene
01/29/2007, 12:55 PM
Lighthouse Controllers & Bit Torrent Programs

Let me begin by stating that I use 2 Lighthouse Controllers. One is on my own system, and the other is on a publicly displayed reef system that I maintain across town.

For the past several months, I have been sharing a broadband internet connection w/ my neighbors, Russian immigrants, who use eMule to download Russian television broadcasts so they can keep in touch with their homeland. Unfortunately, I discovered the hard way, that bit torrents are quite unfriendly to routers and other connected equipment, due to quite literally pinging them to death.

For the past several weeks, I have been quietly working to find a perfect solution that would still allow my neighbors full access to my bandwidth, while at the same time keeping my Lighthouse Controller from being repeated knocked offline, which was aggravating as hell... especially when I was traveling!

The following document contains a very precise outline of the steps that I've taken to resolve this issue, and it's been approved by MCU Research (maker of the PA Lighthouse Controller) for distribution.

http://www.nea-reefkeeping.com/downloads/Lighthouse-fix.pdf

-Tim

* While not tested on any other brand of aquatic controllers, chances are this would work for any controller that is experiencing the same issues.