PDA

View Full Version : New tank and HOB overflow

Embowe
01/29/2007, 05:23 PM
I am kinda stuck between a rock and a hardplace here....I am planning on replacing my 38gallon with a new one as the tank I have everything in now is scratched and it bothers me. I am planning to have a 38gallon display tank with a 38gallon sump/fuge. The problem is I really dont want to drill the tank, because I am going to have some downtime....I would have to wait a few days after I transfer everything so I can make the sump/fuge and do the plumbing. but I am unsure of the reliabality of HOB overflows.
I plan on getting one with a lift pump, so I wont have to worry about syphon breaks but I still have it in the back of my mind that it will and I will come home to a livingroom full of water and a :mad2: :mad2: wife. Can somone tell me what size return pump I would need for my tank. I have what is starting to be a reef so I think I would need some moderate flow. OH and I plan on using a 600gph overflow......

pottsburg
01/29/2007, 05:37 PM
Try it in your tank outside like 100 times. I just got one in the mail from a member in a different site and I put it on a spare 10gal and did the 'power outtage' test with a hose like 30 times. Never lost siphon. A lifter pump is a good idea for backup.

For your return pump, go to Petsmart.com and print up the price for their product and take it to the store. It's usually saves me ten bucks or more...I saved 40 bucks on a canister filter! They have quiet-one pumps for cheap and they've got a chart on the back of the box to how much gph at what height it's pumping to. I'd say to get a match of 500ph to your height of the tank.

luke33
01/29/2007, 05:43 PM
Get a u tube overflow, i wouldn't waste my money on a cpr type. The u-tube will never lose syphon and you don't depend on a pump to help you not lose syphon, a utube won't lose syphon with the proper flow.