PDA

View Full Version : SPS and bulb color shift

speedstar
01/29/2007, 06:44 PM
Wondering if anyone has ever noted the effect on a bulb shifting color back and forth blue to white. I'm using XM20K's and am having troubles keeping the sticks colored up, they all seem to almost be bleached lacking color. Alot of them are just tan colored and some that used to be electric green have faded considerably. Just trying to find the cause and tonight while watching the tank I could see the color shift back and forth.

Water parameters are pretty solid.
Alk 8.5
Ca 440
nitrates and Po4 undected.

Also am BB and have tried adding fish to help out but still hasn't.

ReefWreak
01/29/2007, 07:40 PM
Wouldn't they turn brown instead of bleaching from too little light?

demeyer2
01/29/2007, 08:04 PM
Sorry to hear that Speedstar, mine did when I got my new light but it was because I didn't acclimate them to the stronger light properly. BTW the A. Plana frag I got from you at the swap has been growing like mad!

speedstar
01/29/2007, 08:10 PM
Glad to here it is growing well, My corals don;t look that bad. I just know how much better they could look and am trying to figure out why. Think it might still just be a lack of food IE nutrients, but am trying to investigate all possiblities. I'm gonna blend up some “Pappone” Recipe – Italian Coral Food and give it a try.

speedstar
01/29/2007, 08:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9108987#post9108987 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefWreak
Wouldn't they turn brown instead of bleaching from too little light?

Im saying there is a color shift that doesn't mean a drop in PAR output it could even be randomly spiking for all I know.

ReefWreak
01/29/2007, 08:14 PM
Odd. I was just making a suggestion, because I don't exactly know. Good luck with the fix though. I'm interested to see if food fixes it.