PDA

View Full Version : Using Filter Socks

cham
01/29/2007, 07:02 PM
Some of my SPS have been losing color & I wondered if my filter sock is removing too much from the water column. I constantly check params and all are good.

I have a PBT, hippo, two clowns, 4 chromis, one fresh water molly & one blenny so there is plenty of poop.

All lighting info in sig is correct & total I have about 1,000 watts over my 110.

Filter socks are 100 micron.

Randy1
01/29/2007, 07:11 PM
wondering that myself, they sure clean up the water nice and clear.

64Ivy
01/29/2007, 07:33 PM
I'd check my water parameters first. I've been using 100 micron socks for years. Doubtful the acros are missing anything that large being removed as they probably couldn't consume it anyway.

cwegescheide
01/29/2007, 07:47 PM
I use ummmmm 10 micron I think.. Maybe they could also be 100. I dont know for sure. Anyways I don't think your socks are to blame. i use them and my colors are pretty good. i'd make sure to keep a close eye on your alk and make sure your in the correct range. Also keep up on your water changes. Try to keep your parameters as stable as you can and feed generously, keeping an eye on your nitrates.

The times I have had my corals fade on me is when my alk was below that of natural sea water. I feed my tank a decent amount (a big fat pinch 2x/day and I have two med tangs, 3 anthias, couple chromis, wrasse and a pygmy angel in my 90.

Oh be sure to change your socks every few days..

Thats my .02 :)

gasman059
01/30/2007, 07:33 AM
I recenlty added socks about 100 micron and noticed a big diff in my water as well as my skimming. Less skim still better water quality. I've been changing them weekly for now. So far so good.

cham
01/30/2007, 05:42 PM
Could it be my lack of actinics?

I am running 2X 175w 10k XM's to get good grow out and 2 54w 11k Giesmann T5's. My only actinics are two 110w URI VHO's in a 110 tall.

Yes no?

fishdoc11
01/30/2007, 06:19 PM
IME, if not changed out every couple of days, filter socks will contribute nutrients to the water column (in my case nutrients that didn't show up on Salifert/Seachem test kits but did show up as increased algae). Trapped matter breaks down much faster in a filter sock than elsewhere ie. on the bottom of the sump. Otherwise I highly doubt they are taking out enough to make a difference in coloration.

How long have you had the SPS?

Chris

cham
01/30/2007, 06:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9117361#post9117361 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishdoc11
IME, if not changed out every couple of days, filter socks will contribute nutrients to the water column (in my case nutrients that didn't show up on Salifert/Seachem test kits but did show up as increased algae). Trapped matter breaks down much faster in a filter sock than elsewhere ie. on the bottom of the sump. Otherwise I highly doubt they are taking out enough to make a difference in coloration.

How long have you had the SPS?

Chris

Mine get changed out right at once per week, then washed in clothes washer with a cup of bleach.

Had SPS for about 4 or 5 months. My monti cap and birds nest have great color but some others don't.

fishdoc11
01/30/2007, 06:46 PM
Lots of things that can cause color loss in SPS. Lots of variables, lighting, nutrients, type of Acro/monti etc......Also a pretty controversial subject with lots of differing opinions. You will probably get several people who reply to this thread and tell you to get 400 watt halides for instance, others will say with clean water you can keep and color up SPS just fine with what you have. And yes IMO good URI (now UV lighting) atinics will do wonders bringing out colors .FWIW attaining/maintaining good coloration is probably the most difficult part of keeping SPS. Most people that have been doing this a while will spend lots of thought on how to attain just a little more color in certain pieces here or there.
You might want to do some searches and look at the stickies at the top of the page...just basically do some reading and try to sift through the main opinions as to what effects coloration and how different people go about getting it. Unfortunately there is no easy fix and it is really what is the "art" of keeping SPS. Hth a little and good luck:)
Chris