PDA

View Full Version : Baby Starfish

LovnChely2
01/29/2007, 07:30 PM
I have two serpants starfish in my tank. Last night I got home from purchasing some items from a local hobbyist and moved my rocks around to add all of the new items. About an hour after the water had cleared we noticed 2 small starfish.. now tonight there are several more.

Does anyone know how to keep them alive? I only have two clowns in my tank right now, but I'm sure that my crabs will eat them. Any thoughts? I'm sure they need an established tank to eat.

Thanks
Steph

Galilean
01/29/2007, 09:42 PM
They have survived so far on whatever they can find, and probably the same food as the larger stars. I think the best thing you could do to improve the little stars chances would be to remove potential predators since they are doing well in the environment they are in already.

Are you sure they are the same kind of starfish as the parents rather than liverock hitchhikers?

David M
01/29/2007, 10:42 PM
It's pretty common to find numerous tiny "serpant" stars in live rock. Usually all you see is a tiny arm or two waving in the current. It's more likely they are unrelated hitchikers than the progeny of the two larger stars IMHO.

Baalz
01/30/2007, 09:08 AM
Common hitchhikers they don't get any bigger then a quarter. You may end up having hundreds+ eventually and they are harmless.

LovnChely2
01/30/2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks this would make perfect sense as I just added some live rock and new stuff to the tank.

Thanks again!

oxkisses12ox
01/30/2007, 07:30 PM
DO NOT think for one second you will have ANY trouble getting those stars to stay alive... serpeant stars reproduce TOO MUCH! if one leg breaks off it makes a baby... etc... you will have TONS soon enough... well, this is with my personal experience