PDA

View Full Version : What tank to start?

Crackerballer
01/29/2007, 08:04 PM
So I have an empty 10 gallon, 40 gallon breeder, and have thought of buying a 20 gallon. I am new to saltwater, have about 2 years freshwater experience, mostly Cichlids (JD's and a green terror) I also have a 75 gallon. Here are what I (you) need to consider.

1: I live in an apartment. I will be moving in May. I will move about every year until my g/f and I move in together.

2: I am not home much at nights. This will mainly be set up to get established for when I move in May.

I figured I would start small with a 20 gallon breeder, and add some live rock and maybe 1-2 fish and some like crabs, shrimp, etc.

As far as equipment, I have alot left over from freshwater. Like 4 heaters, everything from a 6" one to like an 8" Jager. I also have 2 Penguin 100 HOB and a 150, an Eheim 2213, and a Aquaclear 500 thats brand new.

I am thinking of selling the 75, using the money to buya NICE light for the 40 or 20 gallon (Compact with 10,000 and Actnic plus lunars) and using the HOBs as my filtration. I saw a thread on modifying the Aquaclears as a refugium, and I liked that idea.

I was also going to place the 2 smaller heaters in the back of the HOBs so they don't have to be in the tank.

Give me some advice and direction.

Great White 76
01/29/2007, 08:11 PM
If you are actually going to be moving that frequently than I wouldn't set one up at all, thats just me.

If you absolutely need to have one up and running, I would go with the smallest.

Crackerballer
01/29/2007, 08:20 PM
Well it wouldn't be that big of a pain to move any of them. If I have to 40 I could seperate the stuff into the 10's and a 20 or so, and anything smaller I could move to the 40 after I move.

NanoGurl
01/29/2007, 08:38 PM
It's a pain moving a tank of any size. Maybe not physically but chemically. I agree I would go with the smallest size until you move somewhere you'll be for awhile. goodluck.

Crackerballer
01/29/2007, 08:48 PM
Yea I moved back in may and transfered 4 fish, only lost 1, which was my fault for not acclimating him to the water temp change

ratherbefishin
01/29/2007, 09:07 PM
I would go with the 20. Its what I set up in my room in August, knowing that I will be moving in May after graduation. Its large enough that I can have a few things I want but shouldnt be a complete pain to move, I plan on moving as much of the water as possible in those 5 gallon jugs like you use to go get pre-mixed saltwater at the LFS so that I don't have to worry about much of a cycle.

Afishianado
01/29/2007, 09:12 PM
you have PM...

is your 40 breeder for sale I am looking for exactly that size, I am not far from you.

Crackerballer
01/29/2007, 09:56 PM
The 40 is NOT for sale. I am keeping it for just such occassions, as I have been told it will make a GREAT saltwater/mini reef tank. I am hopfully gonna do it with a center piece of live rocks and corals and put just a few interesting little fish in it.

I do have a 75 gallon for sale.

lessthanlights
01/30/2007, 01:05 AM
the 40 breeder has got to be one of the best large small tanks out there. i'd say go for that. or maybe a 5 gallon nano to get your feet wet.

Crackerballer
01/30/2007, 11:41 AM
I think I am gonna do the 20, since I have alot of stuff to go ahead and run it. If I sell m 75 gallon, I will use that money or a nice light and buy some salt and live rock to get started.